SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manature

Look Who I Found Today!

manature
14 years ago

Some of you may have seen my post a couple weeks ago about the honkin' big ol' caterpillar I found on my sweet potato vine "bouquet." He was more than 4" long and nearly as thick as my finger.

I determined he was a Carolina Sphinx Moth caterpillar (one of the hummingbird moths), also called a Tobacco Hornworm. After Googling him, I found out he would need some dirt for his pupa to wiggle into, so I put a margarine tub full in his cage, and in short order, he dug down into the dirt and disappeared.

But today...he reappeared once again as a beautifully camouflaged Carolina Sphinx Moth, ready to fly come nightfall. (I just so happened to see one at dusk last night, feeding on my pink pentas, so I reckon he'll have company when he decides to take his first flight.)

Here are some photos to show you the size and markings on this beauty. I'm SO glad I found him and let him go through his metamorphosis. Ain't nature GRAND???

This is what I saw when I checked my butterfly cage this morning.

Mark held the cage open for me so I could get a quick picture, in case he flew.

A better look at the cloth cage, which I got at Lukas. I use it a lot, though I actually prefer a little clear plastic critter container I found at PetSmart.

I needn't have worried about him flying. He apparently would rather not move until dusk. Here you can see the size of him, compared to my hand.

And here is a close up of him resting on my screen, where he still is clinging, over 2 hours later. If he were resting on the trunk of a tree, he would be completely invisible.

From egg, to caterpillar, to pupa, to moth. Another miracle in the garden!

Marcia

Comments (8)