SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sundrops_gw

Any suggestions? Can't find a happy medium on pressure while.....

sundrops
13 years ago

I have a wonderful Kitchenaid gas range that I love to cook with. Canning is a different story.

Like all stoves it has 2 large burners and 2 small burners.

My canner is a Mirro. It has a weight guage. I've had it for many years and never had a problem when I was in my old house and had an electric stove. I bought a "canning burner" for it and did ok.

With the new stove I have an awful time maintaining a reasonable pressure. If I use the larger burner there is too much "jiggling" of the weight. Even when turned down as low as it will go. If I use the small burner it is difficult to keep the pressure up to where the weight jiggles enough.

Has anyone had this kind of problem? If so, I would love to know what to do.

I was so excited when I built my new house. I bought this gas stove with canning in mind. It has tall grates and is really nice but I feel like throwing it outside.

Yesterday, I canned some tomatoes and okra together. When I opened the canner I could tell that some of the liquid had boiled out of the jars. What is weird though, it was only some of the jars, not all of them. It makes me wonder if it was the jars directly under the flame that boiled out the most. I didn't notice the difference as I was taking them out so I can't say for sure.

Someone suggested using a heat diffuser. I made a trip to the kitchen store today and bought one from Italy. It is cast iron with an enamel finish.

What is it about kitchen stores? Every one I've ever visited seems to employ all the self-righteous cooks of the world. The lady at the store so eagerly stated that I was probably using "cheap" cookware. Yeah, maybe I don't have one of the most expensive canners on the market but I have managed for years with this until I started using this stove.

Has anyone used a heat diffuser, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (3)