SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennem_gw

Made a canning error

13 years ago

I made a mistake while canning potatoes--a few with skins went into the mix. (They were VERY thoroughly scrubbed, soaked in lemon juice mixture, blanched, and processed to the nth degree of correctness in a pressure canner at an elevation of under 100 feet.)

My question is, I know I have to throw the batch out. But do I really have to throw out the jars/bands too? Can I run them all through the high heat/sanitizing cycle on the dishwasher and re-use?

As I said, absolutely everything was done correctly except for leaving the skins on a few of the potatoes.

By the way, the canning guide that comes with the Presto 23-quart canner (bought 2 years ago new) DOES NOT say to peel potatoes. It says to SCRAPE potatoes, which most people (like the one who was helping me) don't take as full peeling but as removing the thick/yucky parts.

I'm not happy about having to throw out the batch...but would be more unhappy to lose all my jars and (reusable Tattler) lids, rings, and bands. I do know from the Internet that an awful lot of people can pototoes with the skin despite the warnings against it (including rather mainstream sites such as PickYourOwn.org and HomesteadingToday).

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County