SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billbrandi

Sapodilla Not Growing (Much)-Any Ideas?

billbrandi
14 years ago

"...all varieties begin to bear at one to two years of age." In addition to the description of the delicious fruit, that was the comment on the Pine Island website that encouraged me to order a sapodilla two summers ago. Okay, I thought, two years from now I will be hip-deep in fruit. My neighbors will be lining up to ooh and ahh over my garden. The tree arrived, about 24 inches tall and was immediately planted. It was given the "el primo" spot in my backyard. Now, two years into growing, it is well, barely 36 inches tall, thin and spindly like when it was first planted and no evidence of fruit. I have watered and fertilized, fertilized and watered, with good drainage, to the point that it gets more attention than I give to my kids. And still no significant growth, or fruit. Is there anyone out there that has had success with the sapodilla and can give me some idea on what a reasonable growth expectation is and how to encourage additional growth? I'm about ready to abandon it and put in another avocado or mango.

Comments (14)