SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john__showme__usa

Ruined new stockpot

John__ShowMe__USA
16 years ago

Calphalon. I guess should have seasoned it like a fry pan? Anyways I put batch of Annie's Salsa on my outdoor propane burner to bring to a boil. Went inside and spent too much time on computer. Boiling madly and way too hot a flame when I finally checked.

There is a burnt on crust inside pot that I am not having any luck scrubbing off with one of those non-scratching 3M scouring pads and soap.

Any suggestions? I don't want to ruin the surface. And I suppose will have an off taste for some time now.

idiot jt

Comments (44)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Fill it with water and allow it to simmer for a while. It may help to loosen the char.

• bluejean
    16 years ago

Whenever I experience that problem, I let the pan soak with baking soda in the water with a bit of soap- works like a charm!

• Related Discussions

all clad 8 qt stockpot or creuset 7.5 bouillabaisse

Q

Comments (3)
    I have both, just adding the Le Creuset about a year ago... Since then, I use the LC for all my soups, stews, etc., and find I've only used the stock pot for boiling water when I need a LOT of pasta, or sweet corn. All Clad is, frankly, overkill for that sort of thing. If *I* were doing it over again, I'd buy Le Creuset for my soup/stew pots and get an inexpensive stainless pot to use as a water boiler. Some very nice (and attractive) heavy-bottomed stainless steel pots can be found at a fraction of the price of All Clad. I like my All Clad, Calphalon, and Le Creuset pieces, but for large pots, that's the way I'd go...
    ...See More

Stockpot for induction

Q

Comments (1)
    I recommend the Tramontina 12-qt. TriPly Stockpot. Don't be fooled by the low price or that it is sold at Walmart. This is an astonishing deal, for a fantastic quality pot. It is rare to find a stockpot that is Triply all the way up the sides. I don't think All-clad's 12-qt. stockpot has that (instead it's Tri-ply only on the bottom). Although the Tramontina's description doesn't say it is induction-ready, a magnet sticks to it, so that means it will work on induction. Just a note that Tramontina also makes pots that are not TriPly, so just be careful when shopping to choose the TriPly version. I am linking the Tramontina 12-qt. TriPly Stockpot below. Here is a link that might be useful: Tramontina 12-qt. TriPly Stockpot
    ...See More

HELP!! Brand New Glass Cooktop is Ruined!!

Q

Comments (133)
    My glass top stove is only a week old and I have been super careful cleaning it every time. Today I accidently brushed a microtowel across while it was still hot and it burnt on and I have tried everything but it is not coming off.
    ...See More

buying stockpots and fry pans - your picks please

Q

Comments (24)
    jterrilynn: yes, that looks like a good price to me. It looks similar to the all clad holiday promotion that efs referred to above (amazon has it for the same price). I think this is an excellent choice. The induction compatible thing opens a whole new can of worms... I went with induction when I remodeled and needed new pots and pans to work with it. I have a couple of cuisinart pans that are induction compatible, but I really had to be careful to make sure that they were magnetic. If I remember right, they were just switching over their tri-ply line to be induction compatible, so some were and some weren't (I think I was looking around this past May). Because of this, I didn't feel that I could order the cuisinart on-line - I had to buy local and bring a magnet. The cuisinart is cheaper than the LeCreuset tri-ply, but the quality difference is very noticeable. Like warmfridge, I really like the LeCreuset tri-ply. But all clad is the gold standard for most regular folk, so it a really nice gift. However, if you have a LeCreuset outlet near you it is worth checking out. They are having 25-35% off sale on pretty much the whole store through Nov 24th - linked below. Just a heads up that not all of the all clad is induction compatible. I was told at Williams Sonoma that the all clad copper core was induction compatible but would not work as well as the all clad SS (I think the copper core costs more, anyway). Here is a link that might be useful: LeCreuset outlet stores
    ...See More
  • msafirstein
    16 years ago

John, everyone has done this one time or another.

If it's a light burn, I do as ks suggests, put in some water and let it simmer for a bit.

If the food is really burned on and thick, I do as bluejean suggested, baking soda, a small amount of dish soap and let it sit. Make sure you let it sit long enough to work, like 24 hours or so and keep it moist.

Michelle

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Do both.... simmer water with the baking soda.

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

Is Calphalon stainless steel inside ? If so, spray with oven cleaner. The stuff will come right off after it sits for a while.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, guys!

I'm simmering in soapy water now. Just went to their website a few min ago and lucky I didn't use oven cleaner which was my first thought.

jt

Here is a link that might be useful: Calphalon

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

I haven't tried this on SS, but I got pretty badly burnt stuff out of my enameled pan by soaking in straight bleach overnight...prolly wanna check that website for any warnings against it first.

Deanna

• joybugaloo
    16 years ago

I'm a HUGE fan of Dawn Power Dissolver! It really works dissolving burnt-on fruit fillings that tend to spill over when I bake pies each week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lindsey's Luscious

• jimster
    16 years ago

Calaphon is anodized aluminum.

Jim

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Don't feel so bad now. My biggest stanles steel pot with heavy clad bottom had some tomatoe seeds and skins left in it to cook down. I fell asleep while it was simmering and woke up to an awful smell. The pot had burned the tomatoes to a hard black crust. The heat was so prolonged and intense, the pot warped and the rolled bead at the top, had cracked in two places. It was totally destroyed.

• susytwo
    16 years ago

I did the same thing last year while making pear honey. I thought the pot was ruined.

I put an inch of water in the pot, added baking soda and let it sit for a day. Scrubbed it, then repeated the process. It took a couple of days of soaking, but the pot came clean.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I soaked overnight with layer of Soft Scrub with bleach. Still looks terrible. Have to go to town from drs apt anyways later today so will buy some Barkeepers Friend and the green ScotchBrite pads. The pads I have now are the ones that don't scratch.

jt

• demachmo
    16 years ago

I'm new here and registered just to give you an idea (came across this forum while looking for info on making pickles)... I did something similar a few weeks ago making applesauce in my stainless steel stockpot. I had a thick layer of black and nothing I tried would touch it, not even baking soda/ dawn simmering... that just made a huge mess. What I finally tried was simmering for about 15 minutes in water w/ a little bit of Downy fabric softener and a dryer sheet. I read online it would change the ph of the stuck on stuff and make it easier to remove. I tried it and the stuff LITERALLY wiped right out!! I couldn't believe it... maybe you could try that... Good luck!

• bluejean
    16 years ago

oh yeah, now that I think about it I have heard about using fabric softner sheets before too- never tried it, but it would be worth a shot!

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

This reminds me of the time, in the dead of winter, I was showing my Daughter the joys of making yogurt. Balanced a couple quarts of bacteria and milk on top of an upturned mixing bowl on top of the wood stove; perfect temperature. Next morning, came out at 5:30 and opened the stove to put more wood in, and the whole thing came tumbling down. Yogurt on a hot wood stove at 5:30 am, burning milk aroma, steam, and it was 5º F outside.

I still haven't got all that burned milk off.

• jimster
    16 years ago

I fell asleep while canning too. It must happen frequently. It's a long procedure and, at the end, when you are done with the strenuous part, it may be late and you need to take a load off your feet.

Mine wasn't exactly a disaster or destruction of cookware. It was just a very overprocessed batch of chow chow. Pretty mushy.

Set a loud timer next to the recliner is my suggestion.

Jim

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Using anything to scour the anodized aluminium will damage its finish. Soft scrub is just that, it needs to be rubbed into the surface as it will not loosen anything if it just sits there. Bar Keepers is a bit more abrasive, and is just like Comet Cleanser without the bleach. Scotch Bright pads (regular type) will also damage the anodized surface. Suggest just a long soak and a few simmers with a bit of baking soda. If it doesn't get rid of the burned stuff, the pan will need to be replaced. Even for that, if you do use anodized aluminium for cooking tomatoes or other acidic foods, it can still leech out some aluminium, which is not good for home canning..

• ladykitsu
    16 years ago

Then I've got the same kind of pot ;)

I always wash mine in bar keepers friend!

I rememember when I first got it, I looked up how to clean them. The website said abrasive cleaners or pads were best...non bleach abrasives that is (which kinda sucks since most abrasives like comet have bleach in them now).

You can also go to sears or someplace that sells the pans - they will have a special cleaner for them. It looks like sand mixed with some thick cream.

(this is from my memory about 6 yr ago when I got my pots)....They have a "lifetime" warrenty so if you do for some reason scratch the anodization off, they will re-anodize it for you...so long as you clean it correctly (otherwise you get to pay for it).

But...I would be careful about high acid foods. It will eat thru every layer of anodization *and* some of the aluminum if you arn't careful. I havn't wanted to cook down tomatoes in there since they are in the pot so long. I've been really nervous about putting acidic stuff in there for too long....after a friend of mine put his paper soda cup from some random fast food joint in one of my pots one time...it still had soda that seeped out of the cup...and ate thru the pan it was sitting in. It was only there for about 2 days I think. While, obviously, I'm not going to be cooking down stuff that long, the thought of repeated "acid baths" makes my skin crawl...especially since those pots arn't cheap!!!

Anyway...that's it :) Hope I helped a little

Laura

• ladykitsu
    16 years ago

P.S. - Lucky dog! I got the commercial hard annodized...it was before they came out with the "One" series. Mine are great, but I still lust after the new stuff!

I hope your pot comes clean again!

• weddingdance
    16 years ago

I've heard that simmering coca-cola will take the burnt crust right off pots. I've never tried it myself.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Still stained, but can live with it. Now is pitted too. Bright colored little pits. So be it & I've voided the warranty. I have another slightly large stainless steel stock pot that I will use next time.

A stockpot that I can't cook tomatoes in is pretty much worthless to me anyways. Can always use for BWB as I have a rack that fits perfectly inside.

Thanks for the suggestions. Not going to worry abt it anymore.

jt

• kayskats
    16 years ago

john ... using it for BWB is certainly an example of "when life gives you lemons ... make lemonade."

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

John, if you are looking for a new stock pot, I just love my Anolon.

There many styles/makes of stock pots on Ebay too.

Michelle

• wdent803
    16 years ago

I have used a combination of salt and baking soda to get the burnt crusty stuff off.

You pour a 1/4 cup salt and a tbls baking soda.
    get it damp and then rub around with your hands on the burnt stuff.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

In case you have another similar experience, I learned that a bit of Oxyclean and hot water left to soak will take off burned on residue and stuck on egg guck that other things leave behind (baking soda, simmering, barkepper's friend, etc). Works in stainless pans. I don't know if I've tried it with Calphalon.

I don't think the Power dissolver is safe on that finish.

I had not heard the fabric softener one. Ever wonder how folks come up with these? LOL

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OxiClean! That's something I'll try. It sure works wonders on my hot pepper stained dish towels and t-shirts (don't ask)

Thanks!

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Those are "Cooking Clothes".
    I have several outfits myself! LOL

Love my OxyClean!!

Deanna (off to see if they're publicly traded....)

• jimster
    16 years ago

"off to see if they're publicly traded...."

You think the way I do!

Jim

• gardencafe
    16 years ago

This happened to me with my brand new stock pot I had just bought that morning. I thought it was ruined but then I washed it as best I could with soapy water, dried it. Then I put about 1.5 cups of lemon juice in the bottom of it and boiled it for a few minutes.

Washed it in soapy water and it looks like it was never a victim of my canning LOL Took the white circular boil marks right out of it:)

• zabby17
    16 years ago

cooking clothes! A wonderful theory.

In theory I also have "gardening clothes." In reality it seems I"m always popping out to the garden "just to see how things are," maybe to pick a few things. Then I pull a weed here or there, tie up a stray tomato vine, use the bottom of my t-shirt to make a "basket" to pile produce into... an hour later I am still out there and my clothes are a mess! I have lost more decent t-shirts that way....

Zabby, whose clothes from yesterday are spattered with tomato-canning splats from head to toe... badges of honour, I say!

• zeuspaul
    16 years ago

All of my stockpots are stainless steel. I soak them 24 hrs in sodium hydroxide (lye available as drain cleaner). The burnt stuff then comes off without scrubbing.

DO NOT do this with aluminum.

Zeuspaul

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

I'm laughing Zabby..........
    I do the T-shirt for a basket thing...........
    Usually my "Cooking" outfit is the same as my "Gardening" outfit. Only my Gardening outfit includes flip flops and my Cooking outfit is more barefoot attire!!

I've started keeping a mid-sized basket right by my back door and I TRY to remember to take it when I go to the garden "just to check" things...LOL

Jim: HereÂs the parent company for OxyClean (grin)

Here is a link that might be useful: OxyClean

• jimster
    16 years ago

Ha! I had to laugh when I clicked on the link and the Church & Dwight screen popped up. I advise my daughter on her IRA account and I've been suggesting she swap her Clorox shares, which haven't been performing well, for Church & Dwight which is in basically the same business but is doing much better. I think it would be a good one to hold over the long term -- nice, steady growth. And the whole family are OxyClean users.

OK. Now back to stockpots.

Jim

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Sheesh!
    Jim, tell your daughter there's an entire forum here adding to that growth!! hee hee.
    Now, that's not insider info is it? Manipulating the stock?
    Not the stockpot, the stock. John is manipulating the stockpot!

Deanna

• John__ShowMe__USA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lascatx,

A 24 hour soak with OxyClean in hot water and the pot is like new!

THANKS!!

jt

• zabby17
    16 years ago

OK, somewhere in the midst of this discussion I managed to scorch something in the bottom of a stainless-steel pot (NOT my fave big one, luckily, but the second-big one for single batches of salsa, etc.). I do this quite a lot (OK, so I'm a bit forgetful and sometimes trying to hurry food along), so this pot has been scrubbed in many ways before (sometimes with consultation here). Usually a soak with salt & baking soda, a simmer with some vinegar, and some elbow grease does the trick, sometimes taking 2 or 3 tries.

Reading the fabric sheet trick intriged me, however, so tonight I put about 2-3 inches of water in the pot and put in a half a fabric sofetner sheet (BOUNCE unscented) and set it to boil while I talked to my brother on the phone and chopped cherry toms in half to dry.

WELL, the chat was longer than I had planned and I forgot about the pot so when I went back into the kitchen an hour or so later the water had all boiled away. The burnt-on bits WERE gone, though there was still some black scorch staining on the bottom of the pan.

The interesting thing was that the dryer sheet was ALSO gone! Yes, it evaporated! Or maybe those "black scorch staining" that I thought was left over from the previous burnt stuff are really from it. WHo knows? VERY weird. So now the question is...

how do you get DRYER SHEET residue off of your pan??? ;-)

Z, putting the pan into the dishwashwer and going to bed --- clearly not awake enough to preserve tonight; the toms will have to finish drying in the morning....

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

When canning, start early in the day, and use a very LOUD timer, that you carry with you. The dryer sheets do dissolve after a lomg while in boiling water. Many are plastics and can melt then burn to black.

• zabby17
    16 years ago

> When canning, start early in the day,

Not usually possible.

It's not just when canning I burn things, anyway --- any kind of cooking I'm likely to. I mean, not every time or anything, just more often than I wish. Timers, notes to myself, whatever don't make much difference. It's just one of my faults that I've learned to live with, given my many excellent qualities. ;-)

• jimster
    16 years ago

Z-

I hope you have a strategically located fire extinguisher or two.

Jim

• iasheff
    16 years ago

I don't know how this would work on anodized aluminum but I know it works wonders on glass, corelle, etc... especially lasange pans, enchiladas, and anything else that sticks terribly ... put a TBS of dishwasher detergent in the pan and fill the rest of the way with water. Let soak overnight and it wipes clean. I use this all the time since everything is handy right at the kitchen sink :)

• rosebudd1255
    15 years ago

don't know if anyone will see this at this late date but when i was working as a banquet waitress, Sat hours were from 5 am to 1 am Sunday morning, other 6 days were 5 am till the very latest 10 pm, every third Monday off. i had a hard time waking up and invested in a radio alarm clock, a regular electric alarm clock, and a wind up Big Ben that clangs. no one ever complained in the apartment complex until the upstairs woman moved and the new tenent complained even when my screen door closed on it's own. now i can even vacuum at 1 am.

• mxbarbie
    15 years ago

I am going to try that oxy clean thing right now. I've burned cracked grain I was cooking for my chickens to the bottom of my favorite dented stockpot. I'll keep you posted how it works on stainless steel. (not that the chickens care if their pot is burned, but curiosity has gotten the better of me!)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Get a good supply of steel wool pads, or the Scotch Bright scouring pads. Usually if the pot is simmered with water and a little vinegar added, it can loosen most things. You know its burned when the top rim of the pot is warped and cracked. That was the result of a way too long cooking of tomatoes, as I had fallen asleep and woke up to the smoke detector.

• happyday
    15 years ago

There is a cleaning product called Easy-Off BAM that will dissolve anything, even spilled candle wax.

All my pots are stainless steel, and I use a timer. A smoke alarm is a good idea, too.

Straight white vinegar will dissolve mineral deposits, and can be reused dozens of times.