SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth7happy

Bees and Neighbors - a bit lengthy

beth7happy
15 years ago

Problem has surfaced - 2nd year in a row. Last year the neighbor's lawn guys went ballistic because there were 'killer bees' in her backyard shed. The nest/comb was down under the floor - it's one of those pre-fac aluminum little buildings for storage of ...stuff. It's about two feet from a chain link fence that separates our properties. My husband maintains the fence - replaces poles, etc as they've rusted out over the years...fence is her's but she's a retired and single lady...he just...does it. No money involved. we have a huge red passion vine on the fence...it goes and goes, if you know what I mean. Last year we chopped the vine to the ground (because the mowers told her the bees were there because of the vine.)

Meanwhile, she paid $500. to have the bees all killed. :( (and I plant african blue basil to attract bees!). Same time, I emailed UF and got a great response saying NO, don't kill the bees (too late!)...they're not killer bees. and we were advised that there was no need to cut the vine down. Well...it grew back..it's more vigorous than ever...and the bees are back. The neighbor called me yesterday. (My advice was, don't pay $500 to kill the bees; it obviously didn't work!).. soo... anyone have any suggestions? There is no war going on...I'd cut the vine in a heartbeat if I thought this was the problem..... What should we do????

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!