SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john__showme__usa

Fermenting cukes for pickles

John__ShowMe__USA
16 years ago

One of my pod-head friends gifted me last week with a pair of fantastic 1.5 liter jars. Far superior to the Ball wire bail type jars and I'll be buying more of these for my fermenting. The very first jars on this page: http://fantes.com/jars.htm#jar

Found some great looking locally grown Kirbys and am making pickles again. The recipes below are my favorite for pickles so far. Only minor differences in the two.

For 1.5 liters/quarts

Pickling cukes/gherkins as needed to fill jar (poke holes at 3/4" intervals)

Fresh tarragon ... 1 sprig

Fresh dill ... 3 sprigs

7 coriander seeds ... (fresh ground)

1.5 tsp whole yellow mustard seeds

3/4 tsp sea salt

2 cloves garlic ... chopped

2/3 small onion ... quartered and sliced ... red and Vidalia mixed

1 large fresh bay leaf

1 tbs balsamic vinegar

1.5 tbs horseradish root ... coarse grated

Brine to fill jar to 1/2" over cukes ... (1 heaping tsp canning salt to 2 cups distilled or boiled water)

2 tbs sourdough hooch (fermentation starter)

Pickling cukes/gherkins as needed to fill jar (poke holes at 3/4" intervals)

Fresh tarragon ... 1 sprig

Fresh dill ... 3 sprigs

7 coriander seeds ... (fresh ground)

1.5 tsp crushed Brown Canadian mustard seeds

3/4 tsp sea salt

2 cloves garlic ... chopped

1/2 medium size onion ... quartered and sliced ... sweet red

1 large fresh bay leaf

1 tbs red wine vinegar

1.5 tbs horseradish root ... coarse grated

Brine to fill jar to 1/2" over cukes ... (1 heaping tsp canning salt to 2 cups distilled or boiled water)

2 tbs sourdough hooch (fermentation starter)

Sourdough "hooch"

What I use for hooch is more active than the usual sourdough hooch because I feed my sourdough cultures 2 parts water to 1 part flour and more often than normal. A more clear than brown hooch results & I expect is more water and active bacteria to alcohol ratio by far. Using a 'glob' of active sourdough would work just as well, but would be unsightly. I prefer kefir whey, but my cultures just didn't look and smell as sweetly acidic as usual. I've been feeding the kefir with frozen milk cubes lately & don't think is working as well as fresh whole milk.

The cukes are wedged in tightly at the top so they remain under the brine w/o using weights. This is not so important in a fast start closed system as in crocks, but I do it anyways.

A very fast start to both jars. You can see the bubbles at the top of the 24 hour jar. A day faster than I expected and possibly because I used 2 tbs starter instead of the 1 tbs I would have used for a quart jar. I'll keep the jars for 8 to 10 days at room temperature (85°) and then into my 45-50° fridge for abt a month.

jt

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!