SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart1_gw

Can I can homemade tomato soup?

bart1
13 years ago

IÂve looked over some old threads on canning soup and IÂm a little confused. Especially in regards to some statements IÂve read that say, "soups should be half solid and half broth".

- The way I make my soup is to cut off the stem end of the tomatoes and place them (cut end) down in a casserole dish. Fill the entire dish/pan with tomatoes

- Stuff basil and oregano into the "corners" between the gaps in the tomatoes

- Place whole garlic cloves in the "corners" on top of the herbs (about 15 for a typical pan)

- Add salt and pepper

- Add ¾ cup of olive oil over the top

- Cook in an oven at 400 for an hour.

- Let cool

- The tomato skins should be black and raised up a little. Remove them with your fingers and throw out, leaving all the "tomato stuff" in the pan

- Pour into a bowl and puree with a wand mixture until smooth

- Serve or freeze. If you freeze, re-wand mix it before serving when you reheat it.

Normally, I freeze the soup but I make a lot of it and even with an extra freezer, I have space issues.

So my question is can I just pour my soup into the canning jars and cook/can them for the proper time (60-75 minutes)? There are no solids in the soup, itÂs essentially broth. Even before pureeing, the tomatoes turn to mush, ie hardly solid.

I'm confused as to why a whole tomato is ok to can but liquid tomato is not. Or is it?

Thanks!

Bart

Comments (3)