SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susandonb

Soup Recipes & Ideas

susandonb
16 years ago

Hi Again Friends,

I thought we might share some soup recipes (my way of getting new canning recipes!)

I love all kinds of soups and many of my best ones are those that I just throw together what I have. With our abundance of tomatos, I was going to just can crushed tomatos then I remembered I had already froze greenbeans and corn and so decided to make vegetable tomato soup.

It's hard to decide what my favorite soup is but I will try.

I think my cream of broccoli soup is my most successful and the one friends ask me to make most often.

Cream of Broccoli Soup

2 bunches broccoli or 2 lbs broccoli crowns, chopped.

1 small-med onion

3 Tblsp butter

3Tblsp flour

16 oz heavy cream

16 oz chicken broth

16 oz half & half

1 tsp thyme

S & P

Steam broccoli till just tender, drain and set aside. Melt butter in soup pot, sprinkle flour on top of butter stirring quickly with a whisk to blend, making a rouge. Cook flour butter mixture for about 2 minutes over med low heat to cook flour taste away. Whisk in chicken broth, bring to gentle boil, lower heat to simmer and while whisking, slowly add half & half and heavy cream. Continue whisking to prevent scorching until mixture returns to a simmer. Simmer till thickens, add broccoli, thyme and salt & pepper to taste. If you like more thyme add it to taste preference. I prefer to taste the broccoli most with the thyme just complimenting the brocc.

Serve with crusty bread or rolls or in a french bread bowl. Last Christmas I made french bread to dough stage in my bread machine and made mini bread bowls serving this soup as a 1st course to dinner.

Looking forward to lots of recipes,

Susan in NC

Comments (9)