SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamecock_girl

Vent: Does it get any easier?

gamecock_girl
17 years ago

Man, I feel like I've been beat down! I actually cried last night. I think there is a hidden camera in my apartment, and I'm on America's Funniest Home Videos: Canning Edition. I'm a walking 'what not to do'.

I really want to become at least proficeint with this. Canning, and cooking for that matter, are supposed to be my stress relievers, so I just don't understand why 2 out of 3 times things mess up for me. What's up with that?

Something always just goes slightly wrong. I'm slow, which makes me rush leading to an inevitable mistake. I get worried about my jars getting too cool, but the jars and lids are so hot that my fingers are a bit numb now. I don't know if I'm just trying to do too much or what. Sunday, with a friend we made the Bellini Jelly and Annie's Salsa (which didn't turn out great b/c I over cooked the toms), then last night, I made the peach butter (with the left over peach pulp from the juice for the jelly) and Tomato sauce with my left over toms from the Farmer's Market.

I got home yesterday so excited to try the tomato sauce recipe I pieced together from all the favorite ones here. I really worked on it to make sure I wasn't adding too many low acid veggies based on the recipes I have. I open my pantry door to find that the box of 'Canning Toms' I bought at the Farmers Market, while a great deal, do NOT last long. I ended up throwing out probably 20 lbs of tomatoes, and the smell was nauseating.

Maybe roasting the ones I had was a bit over my head, b/c I don't think I roasted them long enough. When I put them through my KA FVS, I lost some actual tomato pulp. The sauce is VERY runny albeit not bad as it is mighty spicy. It will need quite a bit to thicken it up to use, and I only got like 3 pints.

I added the sugar too early to the peaches for the butter from misreading the recipe (eventhough I'd read the recipe like 4 times), so I didn't realize that I didn't have all the peach pulp needed for the 4 cups of sugar. It is SO SWEET it's slightly sickening. I don't know what I'll do with the 6 half pints it made.

I'm pretty anal about organization. I study the recipes, plan out what I can do in advance, make lists about what to do when, but ALWAYS something happpens that slows me down so that then everything needs to happen at once which makes me crazy and I mess up.

Sorry for my being a total whiner. My DH is out of town for over a month, so y'all get to bear the brunt of my total downer self.

Comments (42)