SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nativemel

Having anxiety over my new garden...help!

nativemel
16 years ago

Ok, so I need some more experienced gardeners to tell me everything is going to be ok, that I haven't screwed up yet, or that it's normal to have this much anxiety over starting my very first garden. :)

I found the sunny spot in my backyard, and I want to grow vegetables. It's completely covered in St. Augustine. I stockpiled newspaper and cardboard and had a local tree service drop off a truckload of wood chips. They swear it's clean - no palms, no bamboo, no poison ivy, etc. It looks like it's chipped up turkey oaks or whatever those scraggly looking oaks are called.

Anyway, the wood chips and green leaves have been composting in my driveway for 2 weeks now because the tree service dropped off WAY more than I need and it's taking me forever to move it. (Then I got a sinus infection - probably from breathing in moldy composting wood.) Picture a steaming pile of wood chips in the driveway in an HOA neighborhood - yep that's me breaking the law!

So, I laid down cardboard and/or newspaper on the St. Augustine and then covered it completely with about 6 - 8 inches of the wood chips. I have some cedar boards cut already and plan to make raised beds/boxes out of them and set them on top of the wood chips. Then I'm going to make my soil/compost mixture and fill the boxes.

The "mulched" garden area currently looks scary and hard to walk across. Have I made a mistake putting so much wood chips down? I know it's supposed to kill the grass and be my walkway around the garden boxes, but now I'm wondering if I piled it too high.

The prospect of moving the rest of the mulch is overwhelming me too. I'm thinking of using some of it to increase the size of the "island" in my front lawn, or possibly putting some of it near the bottom of my privacy fence to keep the St. Augustine from growing toward the fence. Maybe I'll just stick a sign in it that says "come and get it".

And, I don't even have any seeds started yet, nor do I have anything to start seeds in. I don't know if I've gotten in over my head or if it's just inexperience that is making me so nervous about this. I need some hand holding.

Comments (8)