SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldflorida_gw

Ravenous bug eating hong kong orchid tree and loquat

oldflorida
15 years ago

My garden is a mess this year, I noticed a couple of plants that were really taking it hard: my hong kong orchid tree and a loquat. I discovered bugs on the undersides of the leaves of the HKO tree that I think are responsible but I don't know what they are. They have three segments and six legs. They look sort of ivory/brown and have longish antennae for their body size. Each is about 1/4" long and they can fly. Their bodies are hard, you can't 'squish' them.

Any idea what they could be? I've done some searching and can't seem to come up with an ID.

Interestingly enough, I have a nice big pipevine and usually there are small parasitic wasps all around it that keep the pipevine swallowtail larvae in check. Just enough mature to become butterflies without decimating my vine. But this year, larvae ate EVERY LEAF off the thing, and I've noticed an absence of the parasitic wasps this year. I wonder if there's a coincidence. I don't use any pesticides in my yard and have never had the problems I do this year. I don't know what's up.

Comments (9)