SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raimeiken1

Let's share pictures of our Tropical Plants/Fruit Trees!

ra
12 years ago

I know we've all just been through a record breaking hot August so our plants are probably not in their best shape right now but I want to show some of my tropicals that did pretty good in our summer heat.

Annona Squamosa (Sugar Apple) - I just planted this one this past spring in my backyard (facing south). It gets morning shade but full sun in the afternoon. It took our sun pretty well. I thought for sure it was going to get burnt to the ground this summer :)

{{gwi:418651}}

Spondias mombin (sineguelas, spanish plum, hog plum) - planted this one as well this past spring next to my sugar apple. So it gets a lot of exposure from the sun as well and it took the heat pretty well too!

{{gwi:418653}}

Ficus Lyrata and Philodendron in a wine barrel - The ficus has shown no sign of distress at all but the Philo started to brown up just this last few weeks because of the intense heat. These are sitting under bright shade in my front patio.

{{gwi:418655}}

Ephyphyllum started to dry up as well just this past few weeks.

{{gwi:418657}}

Alocasia Borneo Giant - I have 3 of these and this one's the one that's doing the best and it is under bright shade the whole day. The other two died to the ground but will sprout back out in a few weeks.

{{gwi:418660}}

Firmiana Simplex - Chinese parasol tree - took the heat pretty well too. I thought it's big leaves were going to dry up in our heat, but it did pretty well. Morning sun then gets shade starting around 1-2pm

{{gwi:418663}}

Ixora Red Maui (Jungle Geranium) - morning sun and afternoon shade. growing steadily and stopped blooming in august.

{{gwi:418665}}

Castor Bean plant - holy cow this plant grows fast! It was almost dead to the ground this winter and look how big it is now!

{{gwi:418667}}

my two Hibiscus Mutabilis "Confederate Rose" - planted this past spring as well. started at around 4" tall. They get sun all day everyday :) I'm training them to a tree form.

{{gwi:418669}}

Plumeria - Non stop flowers from this guy :)

{{gwi:418671}}

Canna lillies and African Iris

{{gwi:418673}}

More Canna lillies, giant bird-of-paradise in the middle and Passion vine. The passion vine hasn't bloomed for me yet :( but it's growing pretty quick. My african iris on this side died though, Im not sure why.

{{gwi:418675}}

Hong Kong Orchid tree - loves the heat!

Sweet Potato vine trailing at the bottom. I'm waiting for it to completely cover the ground.

{{gwi:418678}}

Musella lasiocarpa (Chinese yellow banana) - doing good but it isn't growing as quickly as I thought.

{{gwi:418680}}

Heliconia Rostrata - I planted this rhizome about 2 months ago and it's just now sprouting out.

{{gwi:418681}}

Red Hibiscus - I'm training this one into a tree. It was blooming a lot this spring and early summer.

{{gwi:418683}}

Here's my other Alocasia Borneo Giant. I had it planted somewhere else where it got too much sun exposure and got toasted this summer. I had to pull it out and planted it in a more shaded spot closer to the house. Just a few days later and it's sprouting a new leaf already :D

{{gwi:418685}}

and my poor Brugmansia. I haven't seen a leaf on it since the triple digit temps hit it. :( Not sure what to do with it. I might pull it out and plant another hibiscus on that spot.

{{gwi:418687}}

This one's not a recent picture. It was taken in July. The canna lillies now are a bit burnt on the tips of the leaves.

{{gwi:418689}}

Comments (46)