SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_haven

I want to thank you all for getting me through this winter!

Hosta_Haven
17 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum and just wanted to thank everyone for helping me get through the winter. I have spring fever so bad that I've already read all the current posts and am now reading them from last May 2006.

Kiterloo, how did your move go last year? I, too, recently went through a big move. TWICE! We were scheduled to move in October of 2005 so I spent late summer of 2005 moving all 140 varieties of my hosta to a 15' x 40' plot at my son's house who lives 11 houses away from our new house. They came up fine last year and I moved them again in May 2006 to our new (30 year old) house.

I can't wait to see their little eyes poke up this year! We moved to a 1/2+ acre lot bordering a conservancy/woods and farmland. We discovered last March that our lot contains Wisconsin's largest black cherry tree (est. to be ~140 years old)! Most of the hostas are planted under white oak, black cherry (offsprings of the Champion) and a declining Norway maple. The hosta looked very good in August so I'm hoping they like it under those particular trees.

I only had a problem with one hosta that something kept gnawing the leaves off. I thought it was deer but only one particular plant? I had another of the same variety just 5 feet deeper into the bed that was left completly alone.

I can see I'm going to have to take lots of pictures so I can consult all of you this year!

My perennial bed in my front yard didn't do well last year due to the large Norway Maple and Green Ash (both have 20" diameter trunks). Between the two 50' trees and the shadow from the house in the afternoon, I afraid it was too much shade. I'm considering putting a small hosta bed around each tree. Does anyone have any experience planting under those two tree varities?

Thanks again - I just love this board!

Char

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm