SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piri_gw

Fruit Bearing Trees in Partial Shade?

piri
15 years ago

Hello all.

I posted this in the Tropcials forum afew days ago. It was suggested I also post it in my home state forum too, so sorry for the double post! But maybe someone here has already tried what I'm about to do.

I have a great desire for fruit bearing tropical trees but I have several things working against me. Let me list them and maybe some of you can make suggestions.

I live in a condo and I don't own the ground off my back porch, so all of my trees need to be in containers. I've been reading about caring for container trees and I'm prepared for the dedication they require. This might be an advantage because I could bring them inside for the few frosty nights we get here in Central Florida.

I only have access to land up to about 10' from my back door. My "yard" faces East and the neighboring property has trees lining the edge. As a result I get limited sun. It's filtered in the morning, about two-three hours of direct light when the sun is high (enough to bake some of my herbs), and complete shade in the afternoon when the sun is on the other side of the building.

Do I have any hope of having fruit on my trees some day? I'm especially interested in Mango, Banana, Avocado, Orange, Star Fruit, and Fig. If anyone has suggestions for what kind of fruit tree might do well in my conditions I'm totally open to suggestion! I'm just trying to get my feet wet and have fun doing it.

Thanks!

-Piri

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting