SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccaggiano_gw

What a rip-off!!!

ccaggiano
14 years ago

I just ordered the Pomona Pectin. I don't have a paypal account so instead of ordering it directly, I tried to order it from a couple of other vendors that re-sold it. They wanted more in shipping than the cost of the order. I used to sell on ebay for a living and I know how much it costs to ship something this size and weight. They are out of their minds!!! Needless to say, I ended up ordering directly from www.pomonapectin.com and re-opening my old paypal account. It is a shame they don't accept credit cards directly and I had to go through that hassle.

Next, I ordered, directly from Ball, the new Ball Blue Book. The book cost $5.49. I paid $6.95 for shipping. I paid more for shipping than the cost of the book. I couldn't find it anywhere locally and I had no choice. That just irks me.

Needless to say, I am now over my OCD compulsion of having all of my jars be the same and have switched over to Golden Harvest jars. With this economy, it is time to get over the OCD.

And, even worse, I am now (hanging head down in shame) a Wal-Mart shopper. Pectin at the local hardware store is $3 a box. Wal-Mart is $1.50 a box. The Ball jars are $4.00 cheaper per dozen. Golden Harvest jars are even cheaper. I am all for supporting local businesses and I do everything I possibly can to avoid the big box stores. But these days, who can afford it???

If nothing else, at least I'll have some locally grown produce and canned goods to eat all winter. And since I don't have the room to grow everything we need, I am supporting local farmers in buying enough to last us the winter. I hate big box stores!!!

Comments (26)