SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iona46

Pressure canning question about Salsa

iona46
14 years ago

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for the patience you have shown to all of the beginners on this forum and to tell you that I have learned so much from reading here. I've gone from being scared to death to pressure can to feeling confident and back to not sure and then sure! Who knew not to trust the gauge? I know now, thanks to all of you!

Now, my question is about Annie's Salsa that everyone on here has raved about and of course, it is my first project while I am waiting to have enough green beans to can.

I made the mistake of not reading "the" thread all the way through until after I made my first batch and discovered then that it is not recommended to PC this anymore. OK, so I figured as long as that particular thread had been going on, those of you that did PC it originally are still around and I feel safe about it, but the next batch, I will BWB. However, I did have siphoning and I'm pretty sure from doing searches on here and reading other threads that I probably brought the heat up too fast. I will watch that on the next batch. I also left a 1/2 in. head space, which I think from reading on here, may have been too little? Please correct me if I am wrong on that.

So this all leads to my question. Since there was siphoning, although not too much, and it appears that there is at least an inch of headspace in the jars after processing, there is "crusting" under the rim (at least the 2 we have opened, and I am assuming the others will be the same), even though all jars did seal and when I lift them by the rim, it is maintaining the seal, so is this all ok?

I am confused from doing a search and reading about whether or not they will be safe. Some threads seem to say yes, but they could discolor and the seals may fail in time, and they probably need to be used up, and other threads seem to say I should have reprocessed them. I did this last weekend, so I don't know if it is still OK to reprocess.

Thanks again for the time you have spent helping all of us "dummies" that are new to this process!!!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH