SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pzelko

Anybody new to this forum?

pzelko
15 years ago

Any Newbies to this Forum? (the last 6 months)?

Just curious!!

Paul

Comments (39)

• ninamarie
    15 years ago

Well me. Sort of. I've been lurking for months, and asked a question once, but generally I don't post. I have been reading avidly, though.
    I'm Canadian, garden in southwestern Ontario and co-own a plant nursery. Our main business is perennials. We sell about 115 hosta varieties, but I grow about 60 or 70 more than we sell. I like to try them in the gardens before I offer them for sale. There are so many varieties, I might as well offer the ones I like.
    I never did think I would become so fond of them. I remember defending myself from a nursery man when he said I was becoming increasingly fascinated by hosta. As if it were an accusation.
    This year, I have a new garden space, approximately 1,000 sq. feet, situated at the edge of our hardwood forest. It's a lovely space and a lovely size. I am very much looking forward to spring.

• paddlehikeva
    15 years ago

I am relatively new. I have been lurking on and off for about 6 months. I have mostly full sun and just started a shade garden.

Kathy

• Related Discussions

New home owner and new to forum HELP!

Q

Comments (6)
    Alabama your yard doesn't look bad at all you don't want to go crazy killing weeds in this heat.be patient hand pick the major ones and don't spray until your yard goes dormant than you can use round up and get a hold on them.then you need to get on pre emergent program.i like stonewall- Prodiamine it's a spring and fall application. Read the Bermuda bible and follow by seasons. I made mistake spraying weeds in the summer before but I guess you live and learn. One more thing do your yard a great service and get a soil test.i see people with high ph and putting down lime.thats a killer. I see people with low phos ,potassium,just putting nitrogen on there yard instead of a balanced fertilzer like 13-13-13. My neighbor had a light green colored yard.one day he ask me what I was putting on my yard.i told him a balanced fertilzer.So I put a one foot square spread of 13 -13 - 13 on his yard and his grass turned bright green and grew great.He listen to me after that and had soil tested low phos,potassium and they told him to use a balanced fertilzer 19-19-19 at 5 lbs per 1000 sq ft.now his whole yard is green and he is a happy camper. Soil test will tell you a lot of good info. Good luck. Tom
    ...See More

Anybody know of any marine forum?

Q

Comments (4)
    NANFA will likely be your best bet. Especially as you want natives. Quite a few members live in that area and should be able to answer most of your questions. Scott Here is a link that might be useful: NANFA Forum - North American Native Fishes Association
    ...See More

New to this forum and new gardener.

Q

Comments (6)
    The sun shouldn't have killed any plants from seeds you sowed directly in the soil, unless the ground was very dry -farmers plant seeds in the open ground with no protection. Might have been slugs, cutworms or damping off fungus, although damping off doesn't usually occur in the open ground. You'll need to harden off the plants you purchase - expose them gradually to sun and the cold of night over a week or two. You start them with just a couple hours of morning sun, until you get them up to full sun. Some of your plants look like they have yellowing veins, which you might google on. Since it seems to occur in different kinds of plants, it's more likely to be a nutritional deficiency than a disease. But don't over fertilize. Your prepared bed looks great.
    ...See More

New to Passifloras, New to this Forum

Q

Comments (3)
    That's a nice mix. Do you have any idea what the yellow and red varieties are? The rest are all different. I wouldn't keep them outside until the evening temps are into the 50's. I've never had a problem with transplanting. Mine get full sun and most like to be kept on the dry side. Most of the passies I've grown from seed take about a year to bloom except for foetida which started blooming in about 5 months. Good luck with your passies.
    ...See More
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

welcome to all ...

there is a hosta club in the greater windsor ONT area .... i have good friends in harrow who i could link you up with ... if you are interested in joining the group ....

ken

• coolplantsguy
    15 years ago

I'm new to this forum. I've been over in the Perennials forum for a couple months.

I work in the industry and am somewhat of a Hosta collector. My current favourite: 'Northern Exposure'.

• donrawson
    15 years ago

A friendly welcome to all of you! You're invited to post a question or picture of your garden whenever you'd like! We enjoy what each person brings to the Hosta Forum. :) Don

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    15 years ago

Indeed, a hearty welcome to you all. I see 2 out of the 3 acknowledged newbies are fellow Canucks, welcome eh. I find it interesting both of you are involved in the industry, make sure you follow the rules with respect to promoting, we'd hate to loose you.

You will find there are quite a few us hanging out in this forum, both on the discussion side and the gallery one. Don't hesitate please to jump in any time, there's nothing like a lively exchange to expand one's knowledge and understanding.

• ninamarie
    15 years ago

Don't worry Pietertje. I come here to forget about business, not to get it. Besides, we don't do mail order, so what we grow or don't grow is largely irrelevant to most of you.
    I just wanted to meet some people and finally confess. I love hosta. There. I said it.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    15 years ago

Yeah! Another Canadian Hostaholic has come out of the woodwork! We're all here to support you..... as enablers!

• Julie
    15 years ago

I am a bit new to this forum as well-
    Although I have always liked hosta and enjoyed many for years now, I really got bit by the hosta bug this last season when several local MN gardeners (friends to boot!) thought to divide and swap our hosta with each other to expand our collections. And- last season was my first visit to HostaDirect and meeting Tom Carlson. Needless to say, my collection grew enormously last season!
    I also have had the pleasure of meeting a neighborhood guy who has been breeding hosta for quite some time and he has been sharing his knowledge and passion as well as a plant or 2, so I have been learning a bit as I go along.
    It is with great interest that I have been cruisin' the forum- and remain forever jealous of warmer zones with pips peeping!
    For me, this season, it's time to watch the new beds and new babies grow and flourish, and play with flowers and pollen, bags and foil.

It's good to meet you all-

Julie

• papou
    15 years ago

I join my hosta friends above. Ask anything and remember that there no stupid questions...Glad that you're joining us.

Papou

• astilbe_2009
    15 years ago

I just joined yesterday. Lots of good info on this site!

• donrawson
    15 years ago

Welcome, astilbe! What zone are you in? Do you currently have a hosta garden? Feel free to post and share your questions and experiences! :)

• Hosta_Haven
    15 years ago

Welcome everyone!

Ninamarie, I'm so jealous...I would love to own a nursery! I could write off this obsession on my taxes as a business expense! That nursery man sounds like an idiot, BTW.

I'm looking forward to your posts, photos, and questions!

I've included a link at the bottom to help you get acquainted with me and how "my" hosta obsession started. I just created it over the weekend, though, so it is not done yet! Feel free to look anyway!

Char

Here is a link that might be useful: Char's Hosta-Haven

• alexis717_df
    15 years ago

Welcome Everyone...Not been here too long myself. But I've learned/am learning so much from everyone here.

Char.. I'm so jealous. Your gardens are so lovely.

Alexis

• wifetojoeiii
    15 years ago

I may have said hello before - but I will say hello again! I lurk when I have time & drool over the pics & long for nice weather & time in the garden. I have quite a few hostas, none labeled - you guys are good! I hope to take some pics this summer & post -

hostapasta (Karen, in Western NY)

• jel48
    15 years ago

Welcome everybody! Julie, it's good to see you over here :-)

• ninamarie
    15 years ago

Thanks Char. It's as much fun as it sounds. Truly the best job i've ever had in my long and inglorious career. (Except my boss is an ass.)
    And I've learned that there is a definite difference between the nursery and its hosta collection and me any my hosta collection.
    The nursery wants hostas in substantial enough numbers to sell and make a profit. It's very cautious about new varieties. It doesn't want look-alikes, and it has to watch its budget.
    I, on the other hand, just want hostas and don't give a fig about profit. And I want them as specimens. Everywhere.
    That's why I'm so excited about my new, huge, gardening space. It gives me a chance to garden grow a whole bunch of new hosta.
    I like your website a lot and look forward to exploring it at leisure. But today, I pack and my loved one will take me off to a warm country for three weeks. Lots of lovely plants, but no hosta there.

• Carol_from_ny
    15 years ago

I'm new to the forum but not new to hostas. They are very much a part of my childhood memories. I'm really enjoying looking at all the beautiful varieties everyone grows. I love the variety.

• deb57
    15 years ago

Hi, I am new to the forum. I love hostas, just got started a couple years ago. Don`t have as many as I would like,(living on a fixed income) darn!! Love looking at all the pretty gardens, Papou, your gardens make me jealous, so happy for you.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

I am new to the Hosta Forum. I appreciate plants with lush foliage and a healthy hosta is truly a thing of beauty. I can understand why the deer can't resist them.

The photographs on this Gallery are amazing. I suspect that some of the posters here are guilty of enabling.

The hostas in my garden are all crowded by larger trees and shrubs. I am preparing to transplant some and am looking for basic care information.

• kathy_h_grower
    15 years ago

Hi
    I'm new to the hosta forum but not the FAR NORTH GARDENING forum. I plan on putting in a new bed this year with hostas and ferns. Not sure which hostas I'll get yet but really love the blues.
    Kathy

• paul_in_mn
    15 years ago

Welcome Kathy

Added a link below to some blues.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Blues

• ohcindy
    15 years ago

Hi there,
    Yes I'm fairly new as well (this is my first post) I'm still getting to learn my way around the site. Is there a section with retailers? I'm looking for some new places to shop and thought this would be a good place to start.
    Thanks

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

I'm new here today, but not new to GW. I impulsively bought 10 hostas yesterday and can't plant them outside. A couple of gracious members helped me out. I'm usually on greenhouse, soil & compost, and Ozarks forums.

Looking forward to learning a lot about hostas from you all!
    Sunny

• papou
    15 years ago

I'm just a guy that found this Garden Web site 8 years ago.
    I was helped by many hostaholics. Some of us come and go...but we all seem to come back at one time or another....it's great fun.
    I dont sell any hosta. I have a website devoted just to hostas. It has a lot of info concerning HOSTAS.
    You may click on the link below if you're interested.

Papou

Here is a link that might be useful: Papou's hosta website

• gardenitis
    15 years ago

HI there everyone,

I'm a newbie to GW. I've been a reader from time to time, but I've recently gotten bitten by the hosta bug BAD and just had to come out of the shadows and join.

Husband and I have moved to Lunenburg NS from Calgary. What a difference it is to live here in this zone compared to Calgary's zone 3! Another big change is that we had a miniscule sun baked slice of land in Calgary, but 2 glorious acres here with lots of dappled shade. So, my two measely hostas back there has turned into full blown hosta-itis here. What can I say??

This year will be my second full summer in NS (although I spent time here summer 2007). I had about 5 or so mature unnamed clumps that came with the house. I added 5 or so in 2007, was gifted many clumps from neighbours in 2008 along with another 8 or 10 named purchases, and this year I've ordered another 41 and have arranged 10 others in trade SO FAR.

That's the thing about hostas isn't it? It might take a while, but it does become an obsession - although husband says it's a disease :>(

I look forward to talking to you all again!

• hostarhodo
    15 years ago

Gardenitis
    Welcome to Nova Scotia. One of the best places to grow hostas and a lot of other plants, especially rhododendrons.
    You are not very far from Bayport where Capt. Steel has his plant farm. He is known world wide for his rhodos, magnolias and other plants, also some for sale. Enter Recreating Eden in your computer and you will find a lot of info about him. He is very interesting to talk to.
    Also the Atlantic Rhododenron & Horticultural Society have a plant sale, including hostas, in May in Halifax, info about them is online as well. There is also the Halifax Marketplace on the Waterfront, I have not been there yet, but Pat Vinnish goes there with his hostas.
    One of my favorite places for hostas is the Briar Patch just outside of Berwick, Kings Co. He collects hostas.
    I am in Shelburne, 1 1/2 hours from you.

Happy gardening.

• gardenitis
    15 years ago

Well hi there Hostarhodo,

Thanks so much for the welcome! It is so nice to touch base with a fellow passionate Nova Scotian! I visit Capt. Steel quite often and always leave with something neat (usually many somethings actually). I'm going to definitely check out that website as well as the Atlantic Rhodo/Hort Society site. I definitely don't want to miss that plant sale or any others, so if you hear of more, please let me know.

I have just placed my spring order with Pat; 40+ new hostas and I can barely wait! By the way, do you swap?

Thanks so much for all the information. Exciting!!!

• hostarhodo
    15 years ago

I have not done a swap yet, hoping to do one with a guy from Halifax this year. Maybe we could try one as well. I have a few on your list. Will let you know what I have. Also he may contact you.

Betty

• gardenitis
    15 years ago

Well then Hostarhodo,

I love to swap. Other than trading with the gardeners I have met around my area, this year will be my first for mail swaps. I look forward to hearing from you (the guy from Halifax and all others) to set up some trades!

By the way, I have quite a few rhodos - old and new. Aren't they stunning? Last year was my first spring in the hosue and I was blown away by the spring bloom! If I could figure out how to add a photo, I would but haven't been able to yet:>( Oh well. Soon...I hope.

Take care & talk soon,
    Michelle

• lorirn_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi I'm new. I just happened over this site, and just found the hosta forum. I love hostas and love to garden with them. I hope to find some friends and ideas. Nice to meet you all. LoriRN

• haitidoc
    15 years ago

Well, I am new to the Hosta Forum. They have been a passion for 38 years, though I was never bitten with the chad bug until about 10 years ago, being happy to grow about 15-20 varieties along with a lot of volunteer seedlings. I now have 100 or so varieties scattered over a large area. I have been wondering if there is a late word about a new edition of the Hosta Handbook coming out soon.

Vic B

• fayemo
    15 years ago

I am relatively new to this site although I did post a few short questions last summer. This is my favorite site to read. It has been my survival all winter since I am in Zone3.
    There is no end to what you can learn from the experts that post on here. I am up to about 130 cultivars now and growing!!!

• paul_in_mn
    15 years ago

Welcome to the Hosta Forum, Vic. Link below to previous thread with information about book. If ordering any hosta this spring, check with your supplier. I've ordered one thru local Hosta Society in MN and expecting it early April.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Zilis Book Thread

• hortwino
    15 years ago

Sometime lurker, posted a couple of times. Lots of great info pics, and Hostaholics here!

I'm in the Nursery biz, more of a Tree/Shrub guy. I usually won't join any club that would have me for a member, but I joined the Northen Illinois Hosta Society (I think that's what I joined) when attending the Winter Scientific Meeting this January. Any of you Illinois (or Minnesota!) hosta crazys reading this, Hi from Dave!

• tikigardener
    15 years ago

I am new. We just bought our first house last year. We remodeled indoors last year and this year we are getting the outside looking good. We just ripped out our 50 year old hedges and ugly overgrown evergreens and am looking forward to starting fresh. I am a California native and love the tropical look so I'm starting a few hostas and hope to divid and keep adding. I'd love tips on what plants can give me that tropical look and also survive winter.

• sophie12
    15 years ago

welcome to the neighborhoos tikigardner!!! where are you so we can give whatever suggestions we might think of? I'm in zone 4a (NWIA).

• paul_in_mn
    15 years ago

Welcome Tiki - a couple in pic below - Fingerleaf Rodgersia( Rodgersia Aesculifolia) with palmate leaves in Upper Center, also Sensitive Fern (Onoclea sensibilis) in lower center I think might fit. Might Look up Ligularia Japonica also.

{{gwi:924609}}

You might be better off starting a fresh Message/Thread.

Paul

• tikigardener
    15 years ago

Thank you so much I'll be looking into these. I've also been posting on the tropical forum.