SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manature

GIANT On My Porch!

14 years ago

I have known for two weeks that there was a caterpillar in my vase of sweet potato vine cuttings, since I could see the evidence dropped all over the table top each morning. I looked and looked, and could NOT spot the culprit. (Not that I intended to do him harm...just wanted to know what it was.)

Yesterday, I found him!! I saw the the droppings had reached roughly the size of basketballs, and went checking again, and had my hand right ON him before I saw him. Now I wonder how I oould possibly have MISSED him. HOLY MOLY!

Introducing my beeeyoootiful tobacco hornworm. (Who knew they like plants in the potato family as well?) They can be brown or green, and as you can see, mine is brown. He's four and a half inches long and as thick as my index finger!! Amazing creature! I'm about to put him inside my butterfly cage so I can watch his transformation, which looks like it should be soon, judging by his prodigious size.

And here is the Carolina sphinx moth he turns into, one of the hummingbird moths.

Yeah, I know many of you consider this guy to be a horrible pest and would have disposed of him by now, but I think he's beautiful, and I love sphinx moths. I'm happy to share my garden with them, and can't wait to watch the rest of his metamorphosis.

This is one of the reasons I never spray pesticides in my garden. Happy sigh! They don't call me Ma Nature for nuthin', I guess.

Marcia

Comments (40)

• 14 years ago

Marcia,
    Isn't it wonderful to find such critters and know they are welcomed because you purposely don't use pesticides! I found a Tresa Sphinx cat chewing away on my penta yesterday. I left it there to chew away knowing it was going to find the dirt soon and turn into one of those pretty moths. They don't chew for that long and afterall you have to have the caterpillar before you can have the pretty flying critters.

Maybe I should bring it in and watch the process...
    I've been enjoying the clear wing hummingbird moths, too. I wonder where they chewed away before gracing my garden with their tiny fluttering wings?
    Meems

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of the Hummingbird Moth

• 14 years ago

Meems, what an absolutely beautiful blog! I'm bookmarking it so I can go back later and read in more depth!! Fantastic pictures of the clearwing, too. In fact, fantastic pictures, period!! Thanks so much for sharing the link.

So, do you mean these guys make their cocoons in dirt? Do I need to put a container full in the butterfly cage with him? I've never watched the process with one of these guys, though I had a gorgeous tiger moth I "raised" once.

Marcia (who needs to go Googling, I reckon)

• Related Discussions

My SF beds have become a giant litter box for my outside cat!!

Q

Comments (5)
    or you could get them clear plastic forks and put them all around in there, she'll get into there a few times and that will be the end of that, handle end down, clear for your convienience. sp. but i guess some say it works wonders. for me, it'd be the painball gun, just for fun!! Hee Hee, or the bbgun!! but then when your not looking they MIGHT be right back there. also they don't like lemon. so you could start out with lemon. and the clear plastic forks. IF it was ME, that's what i'd do. then if they went back in, then the paintball gun. ya that's what it'd be!! just to make hubs happy i'd start out nice!! **onery grinn/wink** LOL ~Medo
    ...See More

What's going on with my Green Giant?

Q

Comments (11)
    its not a small fert problem ... its not a fert application problem ... so it has to somehow be related to the planting .. the moving.. or the installing ... let us presume... all you did was fine ... you really have no clue.. went on with the plant prior to your getting it .. i realize bordines is top notch ... but somewhere back in the supply line.. it was shipped to them ...harvested from a tree farm.. etc ... it is not uncommon ... for minor cracks or breaks to occur ... somewhere in that pipe ... and for the impact not to show until a major stressor ... or in your case.. two stresses ... first was the planting ... which it sounds like you did rather well ... second.. winter ... again.. it is not uncommon ... for an evergreen ... to stay evergreen .. in winter .... even if there was an injury any time last fall .... the cold weather puts it into what i like to call .. suspended animation ... and its not until the plant starts to wake up ... that it starts to go off color ... talk with bordines ... show them the pix.. if they replace.. good ... if not.. give it a few more weeks.. and just cut back to live green growth ... and it will fill in ... or just replace it ... ken ps: with MIs 3 to 4 months.. of ground freeze .. you are never going to get the growth rate bill gets.. where the trees grow nearly year around ... they will grow fast enough ... just dont set the bar too high ...
    ...See More

My Porch - Your Porch - Let's share!

Q

Comments (31)
    These porches are so beautiful. But how do you keep them so nice and clean? It seems like I get mine cleaned off and two or so hours later copious amounts of something else appears. The wind just seems to bring every leaf, bit of dog fur, bird feathers, nesting material, dead flowers (which seem to attract spiders) and dust my direction. If I were to screen the porch that would reduce it to just the dust-I hope. Do you (or your maid) sweep and mop these areas every day?
    ...See More

Zen-man, here are my California Giants

Q

Comments (20)
    Hi Linda, Three months would be about 12 weeks, more than twice as long as my zinnias take to bloom here in Kansas. Maybe a photoperiod is involved. Just out of curiosity, how tall are your zinnias when they bloom at 3 months? Considering how fast zinnia plants grow, your zinnias should be maybe 6 feet high after 3 months. You mentioned that your zinnia seeds were a "Giant mix". Could you be more specific? There is a zinnia variety called California Giants or Giants of California, and when they were first introduced nearly a century ago, the "Giant" referred to the plant, and not to the bloom size. I grew some for their spoon-like petals. (You can click on these photos to see them larger.) I included them in my hybridization program with the hope that they might introduce some changes to my other zinnia petal forms. Some of my California Giants had a more conventional tightly packed flower form. In the future, I should pay more attention to variations in their plant sizes. " I suspect the heat has to do with time from seed to flowers. " You could be right about that. Unfortunately, neither of us has a practical way to control that. ZM
    ...See More
  • 14 years ago

Marcia, I'm from the "old school" I guess, grew up on a farm and it was you against the bad guys to protect the good guys. I've mellowed some, but do not let caterpillars or grasshoppers eat my plants if I can help it. My chickens take care of properly disposing of them if I put them in their cage. Then I eat the chickens if they are alpha roosters or non producing hens.

I'm love your attitude, but have not eliminated the farmer out of my genes it seems :>)

bernie

• 14 years ago

If I were growing food for my table, I guess I might feel differently, Bernie. Though then again, I might just try to grow enough for all of us. But my garden is a wildlife garden. I plant especially for butterflies, moths, hummers, songbirds and other critters, and they are pretty much all welcome. They are as important to me as any plant I grow, and I deliberately attract them, so it wouldn't make any sense to kill them when they oblige me by showing up. *grin*

This big fat boy is going to provide me with a lovely Carolina sphinx moth who will enjoy my four o'clocks and other flowers each evening. I will look for him every time I take the dogs out at night.

I'm always amazed at all the "wildlife" one urban yard can shelter. Lately, we have had a pair of barred owls calling from the oaks over the house. A couple of nights ago, I was out with the dogs, calling back, and they were answering me. One finally flew up closer to take a look and then shut up real quick. (I reckon I didn't look enough like a rival owl for him to quarrel with.)

Anyway, different gardens for different purposes and different folks. I won't spray cats and other pests because they are the whole point for me. (And also because anything I spray on my garden is in my ground water two weeks later, and I don't really want to drink the stuff, either.) My only exceptions are fire ant mounds, and only when they get really bad, about once a year. I also hand pick and behead lubbers with reckless abandon, and everyone knows how I feel about Cuban treefrogs. Other than that, it's pretty much live and let live. And enjoy the spectacle.

Marcia

• 14 years ago

Marcia, that really is a big guy. I love the moths and butterflies and there are so many flying around my garden now.

Meems, I see you recently joined us, so I welcome you. I love your garden. I am like you and out side to play all year long. I love Fl and have been gardening here for 14 years. I say I was a native in another life. :o)
    Happy gardening,
    Kathy

• 14 years ago

Amazing fauna like this are why more people should garden. I spend hours in my garden just staring at the butterflies, tree frogs, skinks, etc. and every now and then something just comes as a total surprise and brightens your day. Congrats!

• 14 years ago

How cool is that? I love observing insects, etc.doing their thing = )

FYI - sweet potatoes aren't in the potato family (solanum?) but in the morning glory family(ipomea?).....

• 14 years ago

Thanks, Jax! You are so right!

Katkin, he's the biggest cat I've ever seen! I love him!

After googling around, I found out that they don't spin a cocoon like many moths do, but instead form a pupa which drops to the ground and burrows into the dirt. I guess I should put a container of soil in the cage under the stem he's on.

This is very interesting!

Marcia

• 14 years ago

I think it's great to find enjoyment in nature - even out of something most consider pests. It's your yard - your garden - your design. Simple pleasures are the best and most rewarding. Your garden should be a sanctuary for your spirit in whatever way that pleases you. That's what is so great about gardening.

I enjoy the squirrels, raccoons and possums. Most people don't. I've never had a negative experience with any of those animals - maybe they 'know' I'm a friend. LOL...

I am more on the page with Bernie/FlyingFish2. If I find the cats (usually on my tomato plants), I feed them to the lizards. I ignore the moths with a 'live n' let live'. But, my tomatoes are very important to me.

Now, I am concerned about the lack of Gulf Frits this year. I think it's due to the increase of hornets/wasps that I have. I have two Purple Passion Vines that are huge - and virtually intact. I should have tons of butterflies.

• 14 years ago

True, Carol...thanks for the reminder. But all the info I've read says they eat nightshade family almost exclusively (tomatoes, tobacco) and occasionally solanum (potato), so that's what was in my mind. I really do know sweet potatoes are related to morning glories...my Blackie is covered in pink "glories" every spring. But somehow, this guy must not have read the books, because he's eating the heck out of the sweet potato vine. Oh, I also read somewhere they will eat pentas???

Marcia

• 14 years ago

Marcia,
    Thank you. From what I've researched it seems they do make their transformation in the dirt. I know, I was surprised to read that, too. But when I find one of these guys hanging around I like to know what to expect and I always learn something new. I've attached a link that has some interesting information about the hummingbird moths in general ... maybe you will find some good information there.

In light of the follow-ups I should note here that in my veggie garden it is my aim to master the art of companion planting. Well, "master" is probably a little far-fetched... but I am trying to learn how to do it well. My hope is to attract as many beneficial insects as possible so they will in turn take care of the "enemies" of the veggie plants. Florida is a particularly challenging climate to achieve this method but it is worth giving it my best shot to not use any pesticides. I DO hunt down and be-head without reservation grasshoppers (especially lubbers). No mercy on those voracious chewers... it's too bad they don't turn into a butterfly ... I'd surely let them do their damage if so.
    Oh, I also read somewhere they will eat pentas???
    Two notes: 1) That is where my Tresa Cat was found yesterday... on a red penta with half the plant missing from being chewed away at that point. 2)I see the clearwings the most on pentas at dusk. Although during the day they were on the salvia coccinea.

Kathy,
    Thank you for the welcome. I'm just now feeling like I'm getting the hang of this forum format. After blogging for the last two years it is very fun to be here and enjoy this type of garden chat. I'm learning so much here with 'real Florida' gardeners. To have a successful Florida garden I've found it takes all 12 months of staying very diligent. But I love it and am so happy we get to be outdoors every day of the year if we want to. (I'm supposed to be getting my house cleaned today-- have to make myself stay out of the garden to get it done. But now I've found this forum and it seems if I'm not gardening I'm 'talking' about it)! Obsessions aren't easy to control. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: hummingbird moths info

• 14 years ago

manature,you have a monster there.
    How much does he weight?
    He has such a preety color.
    Felix

• 14 years ago

Hi,Felix! Haven't had a chance to chat with you in awhile, but I will try to fix that later tonight with a "catch-up" email.

Meems, I like your approach! And thanks for the link. I will be checking it out soon. I had a lovely Tersa Sphinx moth not so long ago, but have never seen the caterpillar. I should check my pentas, though it doesn't look like anything is eating them.

SPF, I haven't seen many frits this year, either. Just a couple now and then. I figured it was because I wasn't growing any passionvine this year, but maybe not?

Marcia

• 14 years ago

But now I've found this forum and it seems if I'm not gardening I'm 'talking' about it)! Obsessions aren't easy to control. LOL

Gottcha! Welcome to our little addiction Meems ;-)

• 14 years ago

Marcia,

What a nice giant to have as a guest! And to think how beautiful it will be soon!

Meems,

Welcome. What a nice blog you have!

The only sphinx I've had this year so far has been a Nessus. No cats noted but I've had quite a few butterflies and moths around. Only a few frits and they haven't stayed long. But each day brings something different, so we'll just keep enjoying what we have!

wt

• 14 years ago

Gottcha! Welcome to our little addiction Meems ;-)
    Step. Away. From. The. Computer.
    Turned it off and finally got the house cleaned, dinner cooked, and grandbaby to bed. Here I am again. Obsessed. Ha.

Dubyatee,
    Thank you for the welcome. I had a firestorm of black swallowtail cats on my carrots and parsley this year. ">

It was a load of fun watching so many take the greenery down to the ground. There have been several comments here and there about a decreasing number of Gulf Frits but I have noticed the opposite. Also an increase in the Zebra longwings... another favorite. The regular visitors of Monarchs, Giant Swallowtails, and sulphurs are always fun, too.
    Meems

• 14 years ago

Well, no wonder we're all seeing less Gulf Frits! They're all in Meems' garden!

wt

• 14 years ago

I think you've got it, WT. Meems, you stop hogging all those gulf frits and zebras, y'hear!!! We want our share, too! *grin* I have had a few gulf frits here and there, but almost NO zebras this year. Again, I don't have any host plants currently, but usually the butterflies will nectar in the flower garden, anyway.

Mostly, I've had lots and lots of eastern black swallowtails and monarchs, with a smattering of sulphurs, giant swallowtails, and some gold rims.

I brought in about 35 or 40 eastern blacks to raise inside, and released quite a few a couple of months ago. About 25 or so chrysalises didn't eclose with the first batch, but are giving me one swallowtail every 10 days or so now. Some of them have been in there for nearly 2 months. And a couple might even overwinter, as one did last year.

The monarchs have never done that for me. The nearly always eclose within 2 weeks of forming the chrysalis. But these EBS's just take their time and appear whenever they are ready. Plus, I noticed that some of them form a green chyrsalis and some a brown. But that doesn't seem to have any bearing on whether they stay in there 2 weeks, or 2 months.

Always something new to learn!

Marcia

• 14 years ago

BTW, Meems...great photos. I really LOVE the "firestorm" of swallowtail cats. They are SO pretty, aren't they? It makes me happy all over to find a bunch of pretty cats, happily munching on my fennel or parsley.

Thanks for sharing those!

Marcia

• 14 years ago

I saw today that my hornworm had curled up and hidden under the damp roots of the sweet potato vine that I put in the butterfly cage with him. So I got a container of soil and slid it underneath him, and an hour later, he is completely burrowed in. Now for the waiting. Anyone know how long it will be before my sphinx moth emerges?

Marcia (loving watching this process)

• 14 years ago

Congrats on your beautiful cat, Marcia! He IS enormous.

Speaking of cats, the ones I had posted pics of a couple weeks back (black swallows, I believe) managed to eat my dutchman's pipe almost to the ground. Came back from a week away and...whoa nelly!! I also had a plethora o' parsley diners, though I can never seem to find the cocoons or pupas.

This year has been so lushly lepidopterous even hubby noticed!

• 14 years ago

Marcia,
    It is exciting you are getting to see this process unfold before your very eyes. You are doing something I've wanted to do but not taken the time to actually do it. It looks like you have about a 2 week wait for your moth to emerge. Here is a list of points I snagged off the Internet site I sent you the link to:

How to rear these hummingbird moth caterpillars:

*don't keep them in a cold room or too cool a house - use the porch
    *you will need to feed them from whatever larval plant you find them on
    *any container will do but I like a transparent container
    you probably don't need a screen or ventilated lid until they pupate and you only need a lid if you want a chance to see the emerging moths before they fly away
    *add leaves from larval plant daily for the caterpillars
    *remove spent leaves or withered ones and keep fresh ones available
    *damp paper towels will provide moisture - keep them moist - remove them when they become soiled
    *clean away waste daily - these caterpillars produce a lot of waste (called frass)
    *once they are maturing, add several inches of dirt to container
    *these caterpillars pupate underground
    *obviously, stop adding leaves once they dig in
    *check the box daily but don't expect moths for two weeks or so
    After releasing them, my moths have usually not flown away for 12 hours or so but the time can vary. I take a few photographs and then let the moths crawl out of the container and onto the leaves of their larval plants.

Hope that information gives you some tips you didn't already know.
    Meems

• 14 years ago

Thanks for the additional info, Meems. I've been raising and releasing various butterflies for several years now, and enjoy it very much. (Two summers ago, I raised over 75 monarchs, 35 gulf frits, and a few other assorted ones.) But this is the first hornworm I've ever found, and I'm very intrigued by it. It is such a different process from most of the butterflies, and even the one tiger moth I raised, which spun a cocoon.

Nature, in its infinite variety! Ya gotta love it!

Marcia

• 14 years ago

Decided to move my next post over here rather than stepping on Grizzy's post.

I love Cats too, just not on my tomatoes. I wonder if planting certain flowers in the garden will keep them off the veggies, chime in anyone....

Tom

• 14 years ago

Good approach, Tom. Hope you can find something that will help you save your tomatoes without causing other unintentional problems. I'll betcha there's a way. Of course, hornworms are so huge, I would think hand picking them wouldn't be quite so hard as it would be with smaller cats, maybe?

Marcia

• 14 years ago

Tom
    In Arizona I had ruellia, hibiscus and other flowering plants in the same area where I had the tomatoes.
    The cats that I saw in the ruellia were like from another planet.lol
    Of course, in this topic I am not so knowledgeable like Marcia is, so I can not explain to you more.
    Plants can get big, I had them around the pool area, I am including the link, you probably know this plant already. I had the purple one.
    Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: ruellia

• 14 years ago

Silvia, do you think the ruellia helped keep the caterpillars off of your tomatoes? I grow them, too, and love them. (Before anyone gets crazy about them, the ruellia I grow is the STERILE hybrid from Home Depot, clearly marked as non-invasive. It does NOT seed.)

I'm just curious as to whether or not companion plantings of ruellia are helpful in that regard.

Marcia

• 14 years ago

BTW, my hornworm was OUT of the dirt this morning, curled up under the sweet potato vines again. There was a hole going INTO the container of dirt, and another one coming OUT of it. I wonder if they sleep in the dirt at night for awhile before they pupate? I put more sweet potato leaves in there this morning, in case he really wasn't finished eating and growing. (Though if he gets much larger, I will have to build him a KENNEL!)

Marcia

• 14 years ago

Marcia, I don't know for sure if the ruellia kept the tomatoes without cats. But it sure worked for me, I only saw them on those plants. I had 3 big plants and did not seed or anything. Actually, the lantanas that I had were more of a trouble for me. Hibiscus were also good for the hummingbirds. And inside the raised tomato garden, I had more flowers, mostly annuals, herbs. And I always had borage.

Silvia

• 14 years ago

Ooooh, borage!! My heart sings when I see borage!! I don't know why, but that is just the most ROMANTIC looking plant to me...very Victorian and sweet! Judy gave me some small seedlings in the spring, but they didn't make it. The heat and drought here took them down, like so many other things in the yard. I swear, if it's not one thing, it's another. Hard freezes, not enough rain, too MUCH rain, too much heat, and on and on. Then, just when you think you've conquered it all, a steeenkin' little sausagey dog goes out and digs holes halfway to China right in the middle of the coleus bed! My dogs ARE precious, of course...but I'm just sayin'................

*mumble, grumble, moan, groan*

Those dogs are just Vet Bills On Legs!

*grin*

Marcia

• 14 years ago

Tom,
    I'm wondering if you know what kind of cats have been on your tomatoes? If cats get on my tomatoes I have to do something about that. If its a big one that I know is from a butterfly they are easy enough to remove and transplant to a perennial elsewhere in the garden.

One of the things I'm trying to do in my veggie garden is add many different flowers and herbs as companions to the veggies. This spring I was able to increase the size of my veggie garden so at that time concentrated on adding lots of flowers. It was a buzz of activity at its peak. So many great insects singing from plant to plant. Turns out I had less problems with aphids and worms on my tomatoes, too. I'm no expert in this area but I'm learning all I can as I believe it is a superior route over pesticides.

I can tell you I didn't put any Ruellia around my veggies. I do have some (elsewhere)but wouldn't ever plant it again. Not because I don't like the way it looks... I just don't like the way it runs under the ground to make more plants where I don't want them.

Marcia,
    You have nurtured a whole lot of cats to transformation. I really must learn how to do that. My grandkids would love to 'see' the transformation. Interesting developments with your big guy burrowing in the dirt then returning for more food. Keep us updated - we will continue to enjoy this journey with you.

Marcia and Silvia,
    From what I've read borage is a wonderful companion plant for the veggie garden. Has either of you heard of anyone being successful with it here in Florida?
    Meems

Here is a link that might be useful: Posts from my blog on companion planting

• 14 years ago

Marcia
    I plant borage straight in the spot that I want them to grow, in my experience they don't transplant well.

Borage on the back of the first bed

{{gwi:119143}}

Marcia, remember the carrot cake with borage flowers?

Marcia, at least your little dog don't brand label the seminole like Pinocchio does.lol

Silvia

• 14 years ago

Silvia, nahhh...he just UPROOTS the entire plant and leaves it dying in the sun!!! Ack!!!

Meems, Silvia has answered your borage question for ya. (Great pictures, Silvia).Also, Judy (atreelady) has grown it and had lovely big plants all spring and early summer. Don't know if they are still hanging in there or not.

Also, Meems, you may have missed my comments on ruellia. It is beautiful, it is hardy, it is totally drought and heat resistant, and it does NOT have to spread. Home Depot sells a completely sterile one that grows 4 feet tall or so, just like the "regular" ones, and they do not seed, and they do not spread by long runners. The clump will increase very slightly in size over a long time, but nothing more than a daylily, say. It is one of my favorite plants and my hummers and butterflies love it. I would never be without it.

Home Depot is the ONLY place I've seen selling the ones marked "Florida Friendly, Sterile and Non-invasive."

Raising the caterpillars is easy and fun. The hardest part is not running out of FOOD. And if you don't know this, caterpillars are host specific critters. In other words, if you move a caterpillar to a plant that isn't the host plant, it will just do its best to get back to the plant that IS the host. They won't eat anything that isn't one of their host plants. Now if you can move them from a plant you want to save to one that is RELATED and included on their host list, then you are fine. But otherwise, they will probably just die anyway, if they can't make it back to the original plant.

OH, yes, Silvia! I remember that beautiful cake!! Lovely little blossoms. You folks are SOME GOOD COOKS at your house!!

Marcia

• 14 years ago

...caterpillars are host specific critters.

Well, alrighty then. All I need is a flower in the nightshade family that isn't a tomato ;-)

• 14 years ago

Marcia,
    I am purposing to learn more and more about hosts and nectar plants and adding them as I can to my gardens. I am increasingly expecting more out of what I purchase... like seeking out host specific plants for specific butterflies. It's an added attractor when it appeals to the birds, too. Those cats won't tolerate being moved around to something they don't eat... they are smart little critters aren't they? I'm always amazed at how they find their host, lay their eggs and then know to stay there and eat it.

Re: Ruellia... Is the one you have a lower growing type? I've seen those and did hear they aren't invasive. Or are you referring to a look alike to the tall ones? If so, I admit I'm not familiar with a sterile one. Interesting though. Skippers seem to love the invasive type I have.

BTW, I checked on my Tersa cat yesterday and today... more of that red penta is chewed up but no sight of the cat. I wonder if it has 'gone underground' already???

Silvia,
    Carrot cake is my favorite... those borage flowers on it are adorable.
    Meems

• 14 years ago

Meems, the sterile ruellias look exactly like the tall Mexican petunias you've seen for years. Usually around 3 to 4 feet tall. Gorgeous. Just sterile. Here is the tag you look for:

I post about these a couple times a year because so many people hate the invasiveness of the old ones. But if you buy this label, you will NOT have a problem.

BTW, the short ones ("Katie" and the like) are not sterile, and while they say they spread less than the tall ones, I don't believe it. I find them just as obnoxious.

The only ones for me are these sterile Purple Showers. And the butterflies, skippers, and hummers don't know the difference, as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps!

Marcia

Marcia

• 14 years ago

Thank you Meems

Marcia, that is the same ruellia that I had in Arizona. When we moved there, we were also new and did not know anything about what to plant there.
    We hired the "professionals" to do the design with plants that would take the Arizona heat and were not invasive. And they were not cheap!
    From all the plants they put, I was happy with most of them. But after 10 years, I took the lantanas because they were taking over.
    Silvia

• 14 years ago

Marcia,
    Thank you for going to the trouble of scanning that tag. Very helpful. Now I realize I would never have noticed that "non-invasive sterile tag" because I haven't even let myself look in the direction of mexican petunias in years. Thank you so much for pointing that out. I might just have to give those a look-see next time I'm at HD.
    Meems

• 14 years ago

You're welcome, Meems. They are so trouble free, tough and hardy, and pretty that it is a shame that more folks don't realize sterile ones are now available. They are true workhorses, and non-stop bloomers. Hope you can find them at your nearest Home Depot. The actual trademark is Florida Friendly Plants, so if your HD doesn't carry them, I'll bet you can call or google them to find the nearest retailer that does.

Marcia

• 14 years ago

UH OH, my 3.5 month old rooster has discovered how tasty these hummingbird moths must taste. He has nabbed several that I saw. They were working the 4 O'clocks when he captured them. Saw at least 3 more yesterday at sunset , so sure he will get some more, sorry Marcia but nature can be cruel!
    bernie