SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melva02

Substitute for testing new canner?! Master preservers?

melva02
17 years ago

I bought a new pressure canner this year and have been calling extension offices in an ever-widening spiral from my house, trying to find a place to get the gauge tested. So far the closest place is 2 hours away, closed on weekends.

I called Presto, who takes 3-4 weeks for shipping & testing of gauges, and the lady there told me with a new canner I could "probably" trust a substitute test, as follows: boil 1 quart of water, no need to vent, and when the regulator starts to rock, the gauge should read 15 pounds. If it's accurate at 15, it's probably accurate at 11. Master food preservers, would you trust this test? I do NOT want to mess with botulism but there seems to be nobody around who can help me.

If anyone can describe how exactly the gauges are tested, I can probably get it done myself. I can get access to calibrated pressure gauges in an experimental lab, so if it's just a matter of seeing whether my gauge reads the same as the calibrated gauge, that will be easy enough. Any advice on that?

I hate to even suggest not having the canner properly tested, but I am at wits' end and tomato season is peaking here, so I would really like to find a safe way to use my canner this year.

Melissa

Comments (21)