SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uniqueenigma4898

how do you create hills for gardening?

uniqueenigma4898
15 years ago

When I say hills I don't literally mean hills. I refer to them as hills because this is generally terminology used when you're talking about them with gardening.

I am going to ask some basic questions about hills. The only requests I have regarding this post are these. Please give answers to the questions I ask; also, please be simple yet through in your explanations.

The questions I have regarding hills are these:

*How big across (horizontally) in inches should the diameter of the hills be? You don't have to be really specific with the measurements but please give an estimated range.

*This is regarding planting melons using hills.What is the ratio of soil to fertilizer that should be used when making hills? I will be in zone 10, and in Florida; the soil in Florida is sandy. Should I use a ratio of sandy soil, a ratio of topsoil, and a ratio of fertilizer? If so, how much of a ratio of each? I am assuming a third of each, but I could be wrong with this.

*I know that hills are used for planting squash and melons. When I do plant squash and melons, I plan to plant cantaloupe, watermelons, zucchini, and pumpkin. I also plan to plant them from seed. How many seeds should be used per hill? When they germinate, how many should be left on the hill when they're thinned?

*Do you have to arrange the seeds in a specific pattern/shape (such as a circle, triangle, or square)? How far apart should each seed be planted (in inches).

*I realize this is similar to something I asked before.

However, I'll ask it anyway. What is the ratio of soil to fertilizer you should use when you are making hills for planting squash?

Comments (5)