SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

sharp drainage- how to create it (do you agree?)

arbo_retum
13 years ago

I am writing this to add to my website lessons. I would really appreciate it if you would add to or correct me as you see necessary. Thanks for your help.

So many things that we want to grow- require sharp drainage.That attribute is not one that our garden soil has. When we first began gardening here 23 years ago, I thought that regular sand was the solution,but I was very wrong. As it was explained to me, wet normal sand will make concrete, not drainage. I heard from experienced gardeners that the correct size of grit was very hard to find. Gravel was too big; regular sand, even 'coarse sand' was too fine. For years, I heard about 'turkey grit' , and "builder's sand" was what my vendor called the correct size. But that is no longer true at our area vendors. Now we find the perfect product comes in large bags and is called " Paver Leveling Sand; Step 2". It is grey and looks like pulverized slate.I call it 'grit'. Bulbs, euphorbia, lavender, coreopsis, perovskia, daphne, berberis, gaura, echinacea- these are just a few of the thousands of plants that want sharp drainage. When planting them, mix at least 1/3 grit with your topsoil and/or compost or composted manure. For particularly bad spots and/or finicky plants, you can also place a 1-2" layer of pure grit in the bottom of the planting hole. It also helps to make a slight mound for the plant.

best,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com/

Comments (24)