SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloudy_christine

Ferber apricot recipes: please comment on the differences

cloudy_christine
12 years ago

I have a bunch of gorgeous ripe apricots, and I've been reading the threads about Christine Ferber's Apricot-Vanilla Bean and Bergeron Apricot preserves. Leaving out the vanilla, the recipes are almost the same, but not exactly.

The plain (Bergeron) has 7 ounces of water and the juice of two small lemons; the apricot-almond has 1 cup (8 ounces) of water and the juice of one small lemon. She seems to be using the standard on one ounce of juice per small lemon, and keeping the amount of liquid constant.

I guess these recipes are both in Mes Confitures, so she's not revising her idea of how acid it should be.

I know that apricots vary in their acidity, and none of this is exact, but I'd like to hear your recommendations about which amounts to use. I'm inclined to more lemon to help with setting.

I've already made a batch of American-type jam using blanched and peeled apricots. The Ferber recipe is calling to me partly because I can start now and finish very early in the morning. It's in the 90's here and we're about to have three days over 100.

Will I end up with preserves, in the sense of whole fruit in jelly? I think the family prefers it jammier.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations