SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Daylily Moving Day

newyorkrita
15 years ago

Maybe not the optimum time of year for moving daylilies but the weather has been mild this past week, only around 80, cool for August here on usually hot humid Long Island.

After my planting of new daylilies yesterday I decided today to get started on the daylilies that need moving. First off was a grouping of 5 that I had in the front yard very near were some roses were dug out that I was telling everyone about on another past post here. So I moved the Three Amigoes of Northwinds Larry, Curly Joe and Moe. Also I moved TALL ANNIE and SELLSTATION SUNSET.

SELLSTATION SUNSET is at least 3 fans but the others are all single fans. They are all very small fans and just not thriving the way I want them to and the way they should. So here they are now as a second row of daylilies planted along the topmost part of my driveway side garden in a row in back of my row of FANCY FACE daylilies. Better soil with lots of compost and its really near the hose so I can water alot and easily.

As I got the daylilies roots and all with the soil pretty much undisturbed and just plopped them in their new planing hole without much loosening of the roots, I am sure they will be fine and not notice moving except for better conditions.

This was supposed to be grouping of tall daylilies in a front yard section so now its a row of tall daylilies in back of a row of FANCY FACE. When they form cumps, I might put them back there in another section of front yard or I might just like them were they are and leave them forever. I have Cannas in back of them and Hollyhocks in back of the Cannas so I have a tall theme going there right now.

Have more to go move. To be continued......

Comments (33)

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Rita,
    It sounds pretty. I love the way you are organized with your flowers. I've gotten three new ones (for me) Iddy Bidy Gal (the name is special), San Ignacio - I think I got five fans, and YES! Primal Scream...another one I saw here and had to have.

I have got to plant these a little differently since they came from Florida, and I do not have (or particularly want) rust. I suspect it is going to be like the D...japanese Beetles though...it will eventually be everywhere, but I will avoid it while I can. These will be isolated and carefully watched.

It sounds as if you have your beds planned out. I have an enormous number of plants coming next month...Iris and Daylilies, so I have a lot of work to do to have everything ready when they get here.

I will look up all of the ones you mentioned today so I have them in mind, but I won't order them...

My first two little own root roses came from heirloom today, and DH suggested I plant them near the main beds where I have roses already. Understand he usually gripes when I take over another area of lawn for flowers...but this was already destined, so it's good it is "his" idea.

I ordered more from Marietta
    this morning. I still have many, many to get. And you are very good about introducing me to them. I hope all of your babies moved without noticing it.
    kay

• albertar
    15 years ago

Rita
    I just planted three that I received in the mail yesterday, like you said the weather has been relatively cool here on Long Island so I took the chance and planted them. I'm hoping they will be fine, as Jan had posted pictures of them a while back, Flames over Africa and Scarlet Panama, and I fell instantly in love with them. The seller and I had been emailing back and forth, and I explained about the cool weather and told him I could plant them now.
    Alberta

• Related Discussions

Daylily Moving Time Again This Spring

Q

Comments (14)
    I moved four daylilies today and still have more to do. I had to remove the last row of the three rows in put in that big planterbox bed I have in my front yard. I put two rows of daylilies along the front and one in back That was last spring. By fall I could see that the row along the back wasn't going to work out. Made it too narrow for walking up there and they were only first year plants. So I moved half the row last fall then ran out of time. So I figgured I would move the rest this spring. Besides last fall I had no idea were I could actually move them too! I am planning on putting some annuals in there for summer long color. Also in the fall I plan to plant bulbs in there, daffodils and tulips. I got a later start on the daylily project as I was cleaning out all my ponds first. I put the filter and pump in the big stocktank pond and stated running that. The water was the dirtiest I have ever had it but I just scooped all the leaves and junk that fell in overwinter as best I could and started the pump and filter. I had bought a new filter the other day so I could do this. Tomorrow I will change the filter again as it should have sucked up much of the mess by then. I do so love that biggest pond I put in afew falls ago. Another one of my projects but it's one of my favorites. I also planted afew lily bulbs and an going out now to plant some more.
    ...See More

daylily seedpods/moving plants

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Holly, This is not the best time to move them, but if you feel you need to, then I agree with the other posters. Those that have seed pods should not be moved or there is a good chance the plant will abort the pod. Check the pod/s each day or two and if the scape and pod turn brown or if the pod turns brown and starts to crack open on the end, it is time to harvest the pod. Take the pod inside to fully open, over something to catch escaping seeds. Good viable seeds should feel firm when gently squeezed. Good luck, Ed
    ...See More

Daylily Moving Projects Started Already

Q

Comments (40)
    Well, since you all like to see the progress here are the stringlines all set up to start on the next row. In this next picture you can see the shrubs in the back of the little annual garden that I hacked back and made shorter. It really did make a big difference in the light hitting the slope were the daylilies are planted. This whole garden section is turning out so well that I am super pleased with it already. I plan to keep the little annual garden and plant the cosmos there every year as I really like it, even though it was an afterthought this spring. Don't like the way the impatients are stuck at the end but a had leftover impatients this spring and thought it would look good. Wrong. They need to be along a row going all around the front or not there at all. But I like the marigolds in front. Will worry about it next year.
    ...See More

Can I move my daylilies now?

Q

Comments (11)
    "It is much too hot to work out there and I may wait until late August/early September. Is that enough time for them to get ready for winter? (Zone 5)" Yes. In fact fall is a far better time to move things than summer. And if it is too hot for you to work outside it is much too hot to transplant plants. They suffer from the heat as much as you do and this in addition to transplant stress can set them back. "Should I dig them up and set them out to dry a bit as with Irises? Maybe I can take a day or two to reset the bed while they are removed." I would not let them sit out- in this heat they would dry out. Even in the fall I like to get them into the ground as quickly as possible. If you must leave them out cover the roots with an old quilt or blanket and wet them down. They need to not dry out- they do not have rhizomes like irises. Far better to prep the new bed and even dig the holes before you dig up the plants.
    ...See More
  • newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alberta- I planted all last summer including all last August and it was hot last August. The daylilies were fine.

Kay- Now just because I post a picture of it, doesn't mean you MUST buy it :-))

We had a thunder shower so I got rained out of further moving of the daylilies for today. Lots of nice rain though.

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

What a busy bee you are, Rita!
    What on earth do you do in the winter when you can't be out digging in/tending to your gardens!?

Julie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love to read novels. But I never read in the summer, too busy. I read in the wintertime. I hate winter. I just love my garden. My patio in the summer is like my livingroom. I like to just fuss around in my garden.

• jean_ar
    15 years ago

You sure do stay busy,and your gardens shows it too.All very pretty.Wish I could work all day in the yard.I did go out after the rains Tuesday evening and again yesterday evening,,didn't stay out long yesterday,as the body was really hurting from the day before,and today is much worse.I use to be able to stay out all day working,but can't do it no more as bad as I want to.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kay- I have lots of Roses from Heirloom. Itty bitty things when they come and by next spring they are big and wonderful.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Raining again this afternoon. Was sunny this morning but I had work to do on the computer so I wasn't out gardening. Then when I am ready to go out and garden, the rain started. At least I took pictures this morning before the rain.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, rain stopped and new back row created in daylily bed. There was only NUCLEAR EXPLOSION and further down SUMMER EXPLOSION.

I left it were it was, moved NUCLEAR EXPLOSION to the opposite end. Moved PRIMAL SCREAM from another area in the yard to be next in line. Then I'M AN ANGEL, DIAMOND EXECUTIVE and LONGLESSION SHOWOFF were brought in from other yard areas to complete the newly grouped back row.

This area is going to have four rows. This now is the back row. The front row is my row of FLASH FORCE that I put in last year. In back of FLASH FORCE is a partial row of PARADISE CITY which I am going to leave. I will put three more clumps from elsewhere to finish that second row. Then the third row I had planed to move those daylilies near the house over on the other side of the yard but am thinking to put at least some of them up in the plateau. Depending on how many duds come out of the plateau is how much I need to replace up there and these are the southern beauties to do it.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Raining again. Had to stop again after getting AESTETHIC BALLET and TERRY LYNNINGER out of the plateu in the back and putting them down in an empty spot down by my patio where I have some daylilies already. Basicly had to move them because the folliage was so small on them, they looked funny in a row with the others with whopping big fans.

• i_c_dillies
    15 years ago

Rita,
    Gosh, how do you do it? Are you 21? What kind of vitamins do you take? You are just amazing, and your gardens certainly show it. All these changes you are making are just going to be stunning. I can't hardly wait to see what next season is going to be like in your paradise.

Lrae

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

21, ha-ha. I wish. I am 61, quite abit older than 21.

When we had the hot weather spells I basicly did nothing in the garden, just watered some. But the weather has been good, cool for August and I have things to get done. So I figgure I just better get going on some of these daylily moving projects.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got involved in other projects today and did not do much on the moving daylilies around projects today. I did move FRANCOIS VERHEART. Last year I had bought the 3 fers on this one from Maryotts. It has had a poor budcount and terrible track record for opening fully in my garden. Dug up the whole grouping (lots of fans). I took a nice 4 fan division and planted it up in the daylily plateau where I used to have BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS. But I moved BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS to the front yard about two weeks or so ago. So now I move FRANCOIS VERHAERT from the from yard (but a different location) to where BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS was. Its now up in the daylily plateau. Thats its second chance. The rest of the fans are going to someone that wanted it.

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Rita,
    You know I had to order three more from Heirloom since these were so healthy and there is a SALE. And, of course, I have my eye on at least three more of them. There are so many, and they are so pretty!
    Kay

• albertar
    15 years ago

Rita
    Sorry to jump on this post, as it has nothing to do with moving day lily's, but wanted to give you a heads up on the trip to the Montauk Daylily Farm...we got there around 2 pm or so, drove up and saw no one around. There was a fenced off area with a large brass bell, sign said "ring bell". We did that a few times, no one came out after about 15 minutes I decided to leave. Actually couldn't see very much behind the fencing but I supposed I should have called first also. It was just one of those "crazy" days where nothing seemed to go right.
    Alberta

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good for you Kay. I know about the sale because of course I read it on the rose forum. Those darn itty bitty things take off in one season like hot cakes. I have a bunch planted last year and you would never believe that garden bed section of roses were the same size tiny things last year as the new section next to it put in this year are now. I expect I will get a fabulous show from both sections next spring.

ALBERTA- Thanks for the update on the visit. Sorry to hear that you were not able to get to at least see the setup there. I guess this time of year is not the busy time for them so they close down, who knows.

That would be a good place to visit next July during bloom season.

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Rita,
    I just ordered a bunch of Munson's from Montauk's; nothing fancy, but I do love so many of his. today I broke the news to DH that he had lost another significant area of lawn to my flowers. Who wants grass when you can have flowers. Besides, I have a slightly ( okay maybe very) rediculous number of plants coming next month. See what an inspiration you are?
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are not the only one. You think I am a bad infuence on you? I am even worse on myself. This spring I swore I was not going to get anymore daylilies this year.

That lasted awhile because I had bought so many that when they started arriving in spring I thought I would NEVER get done planting them. By the time I was done planting I did not want to even think about planting another daylily. Thats it I said. Not another thing this year.

Usually I buy stuff all summer (not necessarily daylilies) and have to keep planting. But I was really good this year and no summerlong plantings as I stayed away from all nurseries and on line vendors and did not buy. It was really great not having to plant and plant.

But eventually after bloom season I got weak and bought some on the Lilly Auction. Then I decided I needed South Seas and bought that. I also bought those Olallie late bloomers and today I just ordered GOING BANANAS.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Today is a gorgeous day, warm but not hot so it was a great day to get some more daylilies moved.

Started by switching INCENDIARY in the third row with KWANZA GOLD in the back row. KWANZA GOLD is listed at 30 inched but bloomed short and I was told by others that grow it in the east that its not that tall here. INCENDIARY was taller than others in its row and this is a good switch. Plus the colors will be better in the new spots than the old.

Dug out a Clumprow of Cherry Valentine up in the plateau and replaced with Mississippi Man, Parrot Jungle and Diamond Girl all in a row. It is at the far end of the plateau (nearer the cherry tree) in the second row sorta behind PRETTY GAUDY. None of them bloomed for me in the old spot. Cherry Valentine went to the front yard were I have a clump of it and added to it. Now have a bigger clump of it.

Went back and put LAVA FLOW and MIDNIGHT SENSATION in the spot were TERRY LYNNINGER moved out of last week. Dug up ROSEY RHINO and put it back a non proment spot in a front yard garden pretty much were I moved TENNESSSEE AFTERGLOW, BELLA SERA and MARILYN SIWIK out of and put those three up in the plateau taking the spot of ROSEY RHINO. If it wants to be splotchy next year, I can just ignore it and sometimes a change of location helps out.

I have more to move out of that holding spot around the side yard. They will do much better up in the plateau, much more sun. Many of those in the holding row did not bloom this year. Getting tired.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Done for today. Still have more to move so guess I will be working on it tomorrow again. I finished today by moving DESERT MOON, SPACECOAST DREAM CATCHER and LEDGEWOOD'S EVENING SUNSET into that front row empty space up in the plateau were I moved AESTETHIC BALLET out of the other day.

Watered all the newly moved plants and thats it for today.

• fairysoapgirl
    15 years ago

Oh, Rita, just reading this post makes me tired!! Whew woman! But I guess I will be doing what you are doing about a month from now...

Yesterday, I got a HUGE clump off the LA of a Lavender Blue Baby seedling, and I was wondering around... thinking where am I going to PUT all these new babies??? I definately need a seedling bed. Guess I am pulling out more maidengrass...

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Well Rita, not to worry I shopped enough for both of us all Summer. This recession is not my fault! I am in the process of refurbishing two huge beds, and I am simply claiming more so called "lawn" area.

I have quite a few orders coming next month. I am not even sure exactly how many day lilies I am getting, but I know there are three more roses, twelve clematis, about 48 iris and who knows how many day lilies from several places. I asked if anyone had Clown Parade, and no one answered, so I went ahead and ordered it today. It just appeals to me.

By the time all of those orders are planted, it will be time to plant the dutch iris, tulips, and hyacinths I've also ordered. It is a very good thing I work only Friday and Saturday nights, so I have a lot of free time.

In the midst of my September planting, my son is coming over to help DH put up my greenhouse! I don't know how I will get it all done, but I will.

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I knew after bloom season that I had to do some moving in the plateau. Not really that bad, just the two to switch with each other and two I moved out the other day (small folliage looked funny with the larger fans all around). Needed to fill those spots.

Now I have to fill in those empty spots I still have were AWESOME BLOSSOM and my imposter NAVAJO PRINCESS were pulled out. I couldn't work during the heat spells we have so this is working out ok for me.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kay- I didn't answer about CLOWN PARADE because I didn't want to bump it out of the top. But its my favorite of the Selman daylilies I see on his sight. But I don't have any of his intros and have never bought from him.

You don't need all that extra lawn anyway. As far as shopping is concerned, I am still daylily shopping this year so am continueing to spend my money. I guess I got a second wind because I didn't want anyting to do with planting daylilies after I finished this spring. Needed a break. But I get ideas and then I think if I do this now (whatever it is) I can enjoy it next year. Usually that gets me going again on more projects.

• organic_kitten
    15 years ago

Rita,

I figured no one else was as taken with Clown Parade as I was when I didn't see any posts, so I sent for it today. I also mailed three more orders with it (two of them were little) today, and last night I ordered the Going Bananas and then they tempted me (easily I give in) with another and I bought it too.

I think I was ordering mine at the same time as you last night, because I saw your post when I came back to the forum. Oh yes, I added to my Marriot's order AGAIN today too.

Other than Clown Parade, several 0f Karol's, (Most of her 2007 intros) and a couple of Mason's and, of course, that white spider there aren't too many that I think I have to have.

Oh I am very taken with the day lily Linda Gluck. It has a very delicate appearance from the pictures I've seen. That will be planted in a very different place from Clown Parade though.

Kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha, I had a nice surprise as I was moving daylilies again today. Found SHORES OF TIME, which I didn't even know I had.

Moved SECOND MILLENNIUM over to the driveway side yard and moved TROPICAL JEWEL and COCHINA KEY with SHORES OF TIME over to up on the plateau. Also LEDGEWOODS EVENING SUNSET. Almost done with the empty spots up there.

I hope these ones I moved do ok. They were nice big healthy fans when I got them and this spring when they came up. But now they have been dwindeling. Too much shade I think. Almost none of those taken from that section today or the other day bloomed this year and they were planted last year.

I move BLAST FROM THE PAST over to the end of the row of MARY TODDS that I have, its a tall very late bloomer and though not my usual style, I think I am going to like it in that location and being very late blooming.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can't move anything else up into the plateau unless I move something out. All the spots are now full as I finished up by planting (moving) FIERY MOMENT and FLAMENCO CHRISTMAS.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not much done in daylily moving today. Had to move four Little Tich Catmints that I bought this spring. I put two in the cosmos garden and two in the second terrace of the terraces garden this spring. Didn't work out as I had planned. Spreads as much as Walker Low Catmint but is very, very short, under 6 inches. Moved all four to in front of that row of the Olallie late blooming daylilies I got the other week. From the direction of the sun, I think they will mostly grow forward and they are not high enough to hide the daylily folliage even if they do not. Then they can cascade down the rock mini wall and I think it will look good.

This means that I will be able to move some daylilies into the cosmos garden which I want to do.

I did move LEE PICKLES today over into the front yard raised bed to where I dug out FRANCOISE VERHAERT last week. I had thought of moving PANDORAS TREASURE from just alittle ways over but I decided shes good were she is, too much moving.

Then I also moved MOONLIT ENCORE over to were CINDY JONES got dug out of last week. Going to spread some more fans of EL DESPERADO around in the spot I took that one out of as it didn't work out there.

Someone once asked me when I planted my gardens if I got things right the first time around or had to change things. Should be obvious to you all that I often don't get it right the first time and have to change things.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wonder if I will ever get done or still be thinking of what I never got to when the snow flies around here.

Had to move my clump of WOMAN AT THE WELL over to the driveway side yard garden. Then I yanked out the MOONLIT ENCORE I planted yesterday and put that next to WATW. Decided I would like it better there. Yanked out LEE PICKLES from were I put it yesterday as it is small fans doing poorly and decided it was lost were it was so put it were MOONLIT ENCORE was. Then put MINSTRALS FIRE were LEE PICKLES used to be.

Up in the cosmos garden, I moved KIRBY KIDS PLAYTIME from a too shady spot in back or the garage and also moved DELIVERER from the quarter pie garden to the cosmos garden. I had room because those Catmints were moved and I was surprised at how much room they took up.

Not going to be working on moving daylilies for the next day or two at least because my daylilies orders came so I have 22 new daylilies to plant.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are my moved clumps of WOMAN AT THE WELL and MOONLIT ENCORE. You can just see the start of that back row that is also new moved and talked about further up this thread.

There is going to be room there for another row which will actually be row three and nothing there. Not going to be anything until next spring.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I decided now was a good time as any to move my CROSSFIRE daylily that I "found" earlier this year in a section of garden were I moved daylilies out of because of too much shade. It was a bonus plant and I had no clue what it looked liked until it bloomed a deep blood red and late blooming to boot. I checked on Tinkers to be sure and yes, it is listed as a late bloomer.

I moved it over to the late blooming garden I have going on in back of the garage. Since I have AMAZING ARTISTRY coming from Gerda Brooker (already mailed and on its way) I figgure this was a good time to get CROSSFIRE transplanted in there too.

That garden had the front row of a planned two rows done and some in the second row (taller ones). With these two added that second row is coming along nicely and will only be needing three more daylilies to finish it up.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a picture of it after planting. This should look nice next year.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was busy again today getting daylilies dug up and replanted were I want them to be from now on. I know there has been lots of moving but what with all the new gardens I am creating, sometimes its just best to move some already established clumps for instant effect.

So I started by moving one of my favorites CITRIX which I put way at the far end of the left side of the front yard. This is the other side from where I am having the new planter box. I moved it from the relocation garden to right by the little stacked stone wall. If you wonder why I did not do that first thing this spring, its because that stacked stone wall (which anchors the front garden) was not built yet.

Then JULIE NEWMAR and OFFBEAT moved from the backyard to either side of CITRIX. As that is a row of three, directly in back of them (on vee) I moved BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS and MABELINE EYES. MABELINE EYES was in the relocation garden and BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS had moved from the plateu in back to the relocation garden but I was just not happy with were it was. Now I like this new grouping.

I also moved CINDYS TIE DYE from elsewhere in the yard to over by by grouping of LIME FROST and BOLD TIGER which is very near the newly moved clumps.

I really want to put those seedlings coming from Paul Owen in the area that I had OFF BEAT and JULIE NEWMAR. Wasn't sure if I was going to do it as it ment moving those others but I decided that I might as well just do it as that is were I really wanted them to be.

I am going to have to do something about that relocation garden sooner or later as I have taken so many clumps out of there that I just have to start arranging again from scratch. But I was not happy with it this bloom season so just as well.

Eventully that whole hill will be daylilies and if I get it right, should look real nice.