SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexilani

blueberries-Linda Lou's topping recipe

lexilani
16 years ago

My blueberry plants finally gave me some blueberries this year...after about 6 years of maybe 5 blueberries.

I only have 3 cups of blueberries and I'd like to make a sort of thick syrup/preserve out of them. I've been using the pepperidge farm frozen turnover sheets to make some great turnovers.

Using, I think it was Linda Lou's syrup/topping recipe for my peaches and blackberries they had a good thick consistancy to take a spoonfull or two and add to the dough and make turnovers.

Linda, the recipe calls for 1 cup water per 4 cups of crushed fruit to make the puree... I'm dont' want the blueberries crushed too much...would that matter?

Should I cut the water down to about 1/2 cup water...or 3/4 cup of water? Would it mess it up?

And then for the actual topping...it say 4 cups puree and 4 cups of sugar...so again would I cut the sugar down to 3/4 cup? And should I add lemon juice...you have "if desired".

There's a Berry Jam recipe in the Ball Blue Book that calls for 9 cups of crushed berries and 6 cups of sugar and that's it. No pectin, no lemon juice. Just boil for 15 mins.

If your recipe can't be cut down should I try that one instead?

I've had wonderful syrup/toppings with your recipe and have never tried this jam one from Ball's. Their blueberry syrup recipe is too thin and they say to cook and add cornstarch after you can it, so that's out.

Thank for any help you can give me.

Comments (28)