SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonegardening

Let's Talk about Late Bloomers....

gonegardening
15 years ago

I thought it might be interesting to see what we have blooming in our gardens this late (since it's almost September...that's late).

Now, if it is a new arrival, please state that...as they frequently will bloom off cycle the first year or so.

If it's on rebloom, please tell us that.

Oh yes, please state your zone so that those above and below can determine whether they might have the same result.

Here's mine in Zone 7 VA with water issues:

Established daylilies:

SANDRA ELIZABETH...still a few buds, so expect her to make it to Sept.

LOOK HERE MARY...same as SE, although the blooms are even larger this year.

AFTER AWHILE CROCODILE...same as the two above with a couple buds left, but what a performer.

J. T. DAVIS...nothing but good to say about this one.

On rebloom:

SCRAMBLED LEGS...did nothing last year, but has really made up for it this year...great rebloom scapes are blooming now. Impressive.

Blooming now, but not confident they will do this every year:

LAST SNOWFLAKE...new arrival in spring, known to be late...but wondering if it will be this late next year.

KATHRYN JUNE WOOD...reblooming beautifully now, better than the original first scapes (higher, larger blooms)...new arrival this spring.

ALASKAN MIST....arrived with scapes cut off, so these are rebloom scapes...don't expect it to do this next year.

HOW SWEET IT IS...bought this one twice...the triple fan has two great rebloom scapes up and blooming...the single fan, nothing going on there...new arrivals this spring.

ANNETTE'S MAGIC...still blooming...bought it blooming in June from the Rices in KY and it's still going...I am expecting this kind of performance from it next year, however.

It does make you think about putting your late ones together as collectively, they'd make a nice little show...as they are, they are scattered around without much impact.

So, okay, let's hear about what you've got going on and between us all, maybe we can make some lists of those plants that will extend our season.

I do have a few late ones that aren't performing for me this year (for various reasons), so maybe next year I'll have a more extensive list. And, of course...I do wonder if I could water more frequently if I'd be seeing even more rebloom (I expect I might).

Your turn...

Comments (23)