SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

Lets talk about Fragrant Clematis

Molineux
18 years ago

I know very little about clematis but would like to learn more about these climbing vines. In particular, fragrant clematis. I've read that some smell like almonds, vanilla or apple blossoms. Pink vanilla scented flowers wreathing a kitchen or bedroom window is something that I could really get into.

Like stated earlier I know very little about clematis but I have seen and smelled one cultivar that stands out in my memory. Last spring/early I remember seeing/smelling a clematis at a local nursery that went by the name Betty Corning. It had pretty bell shaped lavender flowers that wafted an intoxicating scent. The fragrance wasn't in your face strong like that of many roses but it did have an achingly sweet character and reminded me of exotic jasmine. I could kick myself for not purchasing her right then and there. I'm definately grabbing one if I see it again.

So are there any other fragrant clematis worth searching for? I went to Clematis on the Web and found several that looked promising (see list below). In particular I'm looking for pink or blue/lavender cultivars that will climb up to a second story window. I'm not too interested in white cultivars as the vine will be planted on a trellis against a white stucco wall. Repeat bloom would also be nice.

So tell me about your favorite fragrant clematis.

Here is what I've found so far,

Clematis caerulea odorata (also C. odorata)

Betty Corning

Rubromarginata (also flammula Rubromarginata, triternata Rubromarinata, et al.)

Souvenir du Capitaine Thuilleaux

Thank you,

Patrick

Comments (6)