SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brokenbar

Special Carrot Canning Recipe(s)

brokenbar
17 years ago

It is that time of the year and I find myself canning carrots today. Decided I would share a really special recipe passed down from my Grandmother to my Mother and then to me. My family loves the cranberry and the pineapple variety while I favor the orange or apple variety. Either way, these carrots are a special dish for company or for Holidays and will quickly become a family tradition!

Orange Glazed Canned Carrots (Can also be Apple glazed, cranberry Glazed or Pineapple Glazed.)

Carrots- Washed, Peeled, Sliced Into 1/4" pieces- As many or as little as you choose to can.

1 can frozen orange juice concentrate thawed or frozen Apple Juice Concentrate Or Frozen Cranberry Concentrate or Frozen Pineapple Concentrate (If you cannot find frozen pineapple concentrate you may substitute pineapple juice but add 3 tablespoons to each pint jar or 1/4 cup to each quart jar.))

Brown Sugar

Cube Butter (I personally have not tried using margarine.)

Place sliced carrots into clean pint or quart jars leaving 1" room at top of jar. Add 1/2tsp of concentrated juice of your choice. Add 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar. Place a 1/8" slice of butter on top of carrots (Slice should be no thicker than a butter pat wrapped in foil that you would get in a restaurant.) Add boiling water to within 1" of top.

Wipe rims with paper towel. Place lids and rings on jars and tighten securely. Process in pressure canner at the following rates:

1000 foot elevation or less- Pints-25 minutes @ 10 lbs, Quarts- 30 minutes at 10 lbs.

1000 Foot Elevation or above- Pints-25 minutes @ 15 lbs

Quarts-30 minutes at 15 lbs. ( I live at 4500 foot elevation.)

When process complete, remove jars to table with a thick towel over it (These jars are hot enough to bubble finish on a table or counter.) Allow to cool completely (I leave them overnight.) Inspect jars. Place any jars that have a lid that did not seal into the refrigerator for quick use. Remove rings. Lable jars with content and date.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida