SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecurious1_gw

First time canner (This is long)

thecurious1
17 years ago

Hi Ladies-

I have lurked on this forum for several days now, getting prepared for my first foray into canning. I took the plunge this past weekend. I wanted to ask some questions about the results I got.

Firstly, below is the list of what I canned and the source of the recipe that I used. Yes, I know it was 100 degrees outside but so what? I wanted to try it and I did.

6 pts. Plum Jam

Award winning Preserves

Carolyn Amendt

p.153

6 qts. Tomato sauce

Small Batch Preserving

Ellie Topp an Margaret Howard

p.236

2 pts. Spiced Orange Slices

Small Batch Preserving

p. 164

7 pts. Peach Jam

Internet Recipe from Recipe Source

n/a

1 pt. Caramelized onions

Small Batch Preserving

p.178

2 Btls. Seasoned Vinegar

Preserving

Oded Schwartz

p.129

2 Pts. Watermelon Jam

Internet Recipe from Recipe Source

n/a

I have questions about my results. I also have pictures of all of the above but have not figured how to post them.

1.Spiced Orange pickle slices-I followed the directions to the letter. The flavor is delicious but the slices appear to be over processed and not pretty (The recipe told me to boil the oranges for 45 minutes before slicing and processing). Any suggestions that might give me a better looking orange slice?

2.Caramelized onions-This recipe produced an amount less that what was quoted in the book and I had of an inch of head space. The glass sealed(heard the ping), but there appears to be empty space in the glass. Should I be concerned? I threw it in the fridge just to be on the safe side.

3.Watermelon Jam-The watermelon jam used the layering process (Watermelon diced and layered with sugar for 4 hours and then the whole mass was boiled). The recipe told me that that it would take 45-50 minutes to thicken but when that time ended, It was still so watery that I just kept reducing. I cooked it for 1.5 hours and the water just kept oozing from the watermelon. I finally drained the pieces (they resembled little sweet jewels), put them in the jars, filled the jars with the reduced liquid and processed. Is there a trick to keeping the fresh taste of watermelon and having it reduce without weeping water?

4.Peach Jam-This recipe was very straight forward:

4 cups peach slices

5.5 cups sugar

¼ cup lemon juice

1 packet liquid pectin

I doubled this recipe and processed it in pint jars instead of ½ pints(The recipe gave processing times in 1/2 pints and pints). All of my peaches have risen to the top and the set appears to be very soft. I also substituted fresh lemon juice for bottled lemon juice. I understand that this is a problem. The flavor is good, itÂs very sweet, (My dad will enjoy it) Should I just put all of these jars in the fridge?

The recipe said to bring peaches, lemon juice and pectin to a boil, add all of the the sugar at once, bring back to a boil and cook 1 minute. Put in jars, seal and process. I wasnÂt quite sure what I was looking for, the mixture seemed extremely juicy and I let it boil 3.5 minutes more and it reduced a little more. Was this bad?

Lastly, There is a crease in one of the lids, although the lid appears to be sealed and passes the flex text with no problem). I plan to put this jar in fridge, correct? I heard the ping, so I know that it sealed.

5. How does pectin work? Does pectin work on the same principle as cornstarch? By that I mean doe you pour it in and start to see thickening? and that you can expose it to high heat for too long without it breaking? I guess that is what I was looking for.

6.Process-Can fruit is prepared in advance? There is nothing in any of the recipes that indicates you can prepare the fruit the night before and process it the next morning. Is it done? Can the product preparation ever be done the night before in order to add spices and have the flavors meld, and then start the processing process (adding sugar, pectin etc) the next day?

7.Boiling-The recipes say to put the product in the water bath canner and start timing when the water comes to a boil again. When you are processing less than a a full load, a rolling boil tips the jars over. Should I be turning the temp down slightly once that rolling boil is reached to ensure that the glass jars dont tip on their sides?

8. Can artichoke hearts be canned? I have looked and see no recipes for them. I'm assuming that they must be processed in a pressure canner and not a hot water bath canner. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help, comments of observations that you can offer. In the 40 pages of comments I have read on this forum, my confidence found a tremendous boost. I thank you all!!

Comments (22)

• readinglady
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Okay, I'll give it a shot, then I have to get back to canning, LOL.

1. Spiced Oranges - Topp says "Bring to a boil, REDUCE HEAT, cover and SIMMER for 45 minutes . . ." So not boiling, just gently bubbling most of the time.

2. On the caramelized onions, a recipe I have made myself, the onions might have had more water content and hence, reduced more, or you might have cooked them down more than required before bottling. The jars are still safe. You might note over time some discoloration (oxidation) at the top due to the greater headspace, but with all the vinegar this is quite a safe recipe.

3. It would have been helpful to have the watermelon jam recipe to refer to. (OK, I think I found it on fooddownunder.) Many of these old recipes aren't easily reproducible with modern fruits. For example, watermelons today are bred with much thinner peels, so old watermelon pickle recipes often have to be adjusted in amounts and cooking times.

Your watermelon was probably much more watery. There are these variations anyway. Forget the recommended time. That's just a ballpark figure. The preserves take as long as they take. One way to avoid overcooking the fruit is to use the French Plunge method. When the fruit pieces look candied and translucent, strain them out of the syrup. Cook the syrup rapidly (quick boil) down to the jell point, add the fruit, return to a boil and cook another minute or so until fruit is hot through and jell point has been restored. Pull off heat and let sit 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to distribute fruit before bottling. This reduces the likelihood of floating.

4. Don't double jam recipes. The seal sounds fine, despite the crease. Jam is low, low risk. You don't have to refrigerate it, though if you have room and prefer to, that's great.

5. The pectin question would require a dissertation. I'll leave that to someone else right now, though it is worth noting that liquid pectin and powdered pectin are different products and require different handling.

6. Yes, fruit can be prepared ahead. Many traditional preserves can be broken into stages and left to sit overnight. Be sure to add some ascorbic acid if the fruit (like peaches) has a tendency to brown. If the fruit is sitting in water, when you drain it, rinse well. If the fruit is already in the sugar, just add a pinch or two of ascorbic acid and stir it through. No more than say 1/4 teaspoon per batch. Otherwise your jam will have a bitter undertone.

7. Maintain a rolling boil. Fill your canner, if necessary, with extra jars filled with water (no lids). Or use a smaller kettle with a towel or rack in the bottom for small batches of jams.

8. Artichokes - hot pack. Pressure can 25 minutes pints, 30 minutes quarts, 10 pounds pressure. Adjust for altitude. 1/2-inch headspace.

Carol

• readinglady
    17 years ago

P.S. The artichoke processing times came from Costenbader's "Preserving the Harvest." I wouldn't accept it as gospel. I haven't researched further.

Be careful what you read on the internet.

Carol

• Related Discussions

First Time This Season --- had the canner out!

Q

Comments (1)
    If the rhubarb is bigger in diameter than your thunb then its growing good. Leaf size is usually 12 to 20 inches
    ...See More

First Time Using a Pressure Canner. Have Questions.

Q

Comments (10)
    Ok, Kathy, take a deep breath! If you can BWB, you can pressure! Yes, you need a second rack in order to do another layer of pints. Try it this first time with just one layer. You've got the dial gauge AND weight, right? I hate dials (but that's another discussion). I put my 2 to 2 1/2" of water in the canner (per your manual), put the rack in, turn on medium or so while you load the jars full of food. That way everything is sort of the same temp (no thermal shock). Just follow whatever recipe for the produce you're doing and place the jars on the rack (7 quarts or wide pints or 9-10 standard pints, usually, depending on size/brand). Secure the lid, WITHOUT the weight on! Turn your burner on high! Vent for 10 minutes (start timing once it's "blowing steam" really good). Then put the weight on. Once the weight starts jiggling (you'll get used to the sound), start timing for the required processing time. Here's where you can actually make use of the gauge. It "should" read the proper weight at the same time the weights start rockin'. As soon as I reach pressure, I adjust my burner down slightly. Then listen for several minutes. If it's still rocking pretty fast, adjust again....slowly. Too fast creates the dreaded "siphoning". LOL Find that balance. When the time is up, turn off the burner and let it cool down naturally. You can't take the lid off anyway, it's locked at this point. This can take anywhere from 15-45 minutes (at least for me). When you can "flick" the weight and NO steam comes out, you can take the lid off. Don't force it, it will turn easily or it isn't ready! I let the jars sit in the canner, lid off, for another 5 minutes or so (this is where I usually realize I need a towel spread out on the counter to set them on anyway...). Use a jar lifter to remove the jars and let cool overnight. Easy, peasy. Oh, and that prayer............same as before..... Lord, please let all my jars seal. Thank you. Amen. Deanna
    ...See More

First Time Canner - Having Pressure Issues with Old Stove

Q

Comments (12)
    I have an old electric stove and it pulses and heats unevenly, even under the best of cooking conditions. That might explain some of your issues with the pressure canner. I got a one burner butane stove that I use on my countertop sometimes for canning. I got it at a restaurant supply store. Works like a charm but you have to buy the fairly pricey little gas canisters to use with it so wouldn't work if you do a LOT of pressure canning. I posted on here once about various stove options and canning and also on the Harvest Forum. I don't have the option of getting gas at my house. I did a lot of reading and thinking on it and just decided to get a new electric coil stove, although a flat top probably would have done OK, many models are appropriate for canning. I decided the benefits of induction just weren't worth the price, for me. I will say this, if you get an electric coil stove, you still are probably going to have to replace the coils and connections from time to time, they corrode and impair the performance of the burners. I have done that on my stove twice so far, due to the heavy duty use I put it to. Don't know if the glass tops last longer or not.
    ...See More

Long time listener, first time caller...floor plan review

Q

Comments (26)
    WOW! Thank you everyone for the great feedback. I was thinking I would just get one or two additional set of eyes on my plans, but this has been great. Let me do my best to address some of the call outs. Consensus seems to be that we review the W/D location, the MBA layout, and the stairs. As far as the laundry room, I completely hear each of your concerns. The walk will be pretty far, but at least one good thing is that we only have to do laundry once a week. I will talk it over with the SO to see if a closer placement would fly. In terms of the MBA layout, I too feel it seems a little big, so we will continue to work with the architect on that room. Regarding the stairs, we couldn't agree with each of you more. Regardless if my in-laws live with us or not, I just do not like 1/2 steps in a house period. We are now working with the architect to see how we can get those garages level and eliminate the stairs. cpartist - your comment on the extra door entrance to the master closet is really intriguing. Especially if we move the entrance to the whole Master area to make it all enclosed. We will definitely keep that in mind. bpathome - It is hard to tell from the plans, but the seat in the master shower has a handheld shower head located there for the frequent ritual we call shaving the beast :) So it will definitely be put to good use. mrspete - you read our minds when it comes to the ceiling height of the kitchen. We have noodled putting in faux beams in the great room, but we really aren't sure if it would look good to run them through into the kitchen. We have talked about dropping the kitchen sink at least 18" in order to set it apart from the other rooms as well as not make the cabinets seem like they are floating right in the middle of the wall. More to come on that decision. lakeviewgirl - thank you for the call out on the DW location. We will have that switched with the trash since we will like be using that right side of the oven as our likely main prep area. I actually like the look of the garages on either side and like cpartist says, they are also very common where we are building and do create a neat courtyard look. Here is what the front elevation looks like: Here is a house that I think ours will look similar to (just flipped): In terms of the closet location through the bathroom, we were the ones that asked for the design to be this way. Like nini804 calls out, we have always wanted the closets to be a little more secluded as we both travel for work at least once a month and have to get up @ 4am just to get to the airport. That way as long as the person can "ninja" it out of bed, the other can continue to sleep hopefully. chisue - I also don't understand the "via a toilet" comment. Yes, you do walk by the toilet closet, but not through it. chisue - As far as the MBR, we currently have our headboard flanked by windows, so we have no problem with it whatsoever. Again thank you all again for the great dialogue and constructive feedback. And thank you for validating that for the most part our plans are pretty cool :) We welcome anything else you can think of. You have definitely given us a lot to think about.
    ...See More
  • thecurious1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carol-

Thank you for the hints. It is a shame to have something taste so good and look so ragged. The oranges are the perfect garnish, now I just need them to look like a garnish.

I will try the french plunge method with the watermelon. I really want some watermelon preserves that bottle the essence of summer for the long, cold winter days. I haven't been able to find anything that will give me a waterlemon product that has the heft of peach or plum preserves. Thats really what I'm looking for.

• thecurious1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Carol- The watermelon recipe required 3 lbs of watermelon pulp and 3 lbs of sugar. It directed me to dice the pulp, and then layer the pulp and sugar in a bowl to rest for 4 hours. At that point I was to put it in a pan and bring to a boil, "untill it started to swell-approximately 45-50 minutes" put it in jars, seal and process.

Am I to understand that given any ratio of sugar and liquid, jelling will occur if you give it enough time on the heat? Does the long and slow process of reducing until it jells give a more flavorful product than the process that uses pectin?

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

I found a brand of commercial watermelon jam. It uses pectin. Here is a recipe from the watermelon promotion board:

Watermelon Jam
    A rosy pink, sweet spread with a bit of crunch. Try it with peanut butter on an English muffin...yummy!

Ingredients:
    3 cups granulated sugar
    1 ½ cups finely chopped seeded watermelon (do not puree)
    ¼ cup lemon juice
    1 package (1/75 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
    ¾ cup water

Instructions:
    In large bowl, stir together sugar, watermelon and lemon juice. Set aside for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. In small saucepan, blend fruit pectin and water. Bring mixture to boil over high heat; boil, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir pectin mixture into watermelon mixture. Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Quickly pour into jars and cover. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours to set. Store jam in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

Servings:
    Makes about 4 cups. Per 1 tablespoon serving: 38 calories, 10g carbohydrate, 0.4mg sodium

Lately I've been inclined to make no pectin jams using the french plunge method Carol described. (We both like the book Mes Confitures by Christine Ferber.) However, I think one sounds like one that would benefit from a shorter cooking time. And then there is the whole world of no sugar pectin. Search for Pomona's on this site and you should get more info that you ever wanted :) One of the jams that I really like is reduced sugar peach made with the no sugar needed pectin. It takes nice and fresh.

• zabby17
    17 years ago

hi, the curious! welcome to canning. sounds like you're extremely ambitious and energetic!!!

I am not as expert as many here, but I have a hint for only your #7:

"7.Boiling-The recipes say to put the product in the water bath canner and start timing when the water comes to a boil again. When you are processing less than a a full load, a rolling boil tips the jars over."

I use a smaller pot for smaller loads. Found a cheap round backing rack that fits into the bottom of my smaller pot to use as a rack. (Though I've canned without a rack many times with no problem; the rack reduces the chances of a glass shattering from uneven heat, but that chance doesn't seem to be that high to begin with, at least in the aluminum pot I use.)

Oh, and I also have a response from even my limited experience to this query:

"Am I to understand that given any ratio of sugar and liquid, jelling will occur if you give it enough time on the heat?"

Not necessarily. Some batches of jam just don't ever set, for reasons understood by powers greater than those of mere Harvest forum posters! And much depends on the pectin content of the fruit. When in doubt, if using no-pectin-added recipes, including some apple often seems to help, as apples are v. high in pectin.

Good luck, and do keep telling us about your adventures!

Zabby

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

Here is another watermelon recipe for you.
    Watermelon Jelly
    4 cups watermelon, remove seeds (not rind)
    3 1/2 cups granulated organic sugar
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 (6 ounce) bottle liquid fruit pectin
    Place watermelon in blender or food processor and blend or process until smooth. You should end up with 2 cups purée. In large cooking pot combine watermelon purée, sugar and lemon juice. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil. Add pectin all at once. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle jelly into clean hot half-pint jars; seal. Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Makes 4 half-pints.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

I forgot to say welcome to the Forum, thecurious. I hope you find this a good place to visit.

Zabby's already answered the question about jelling. Any "jam" will thicken if you cook it down, but it won't necessarily jell. You might just end up with an overcooked puree (or sludge). Working with traditional no-commercial pectin recipes can be a bit like walking a tightrope. Sometimes jelling comes at too high a cost because you have to cook the recipe down for so long it loses its freshness of flavor and character.

I think you'll find a variety of "jam philosophies" on the Forum. There are those who like the convenience of commercial pectins. I'm one of those who prefers not to use them, except for the unavoidable like Pepper Jelly.

If we're speaking of regular pectin (as opposed to low-sugar types or Pomona pectin, which is in a different category altogether), it requires a high ratio of sugar to fruit to set. The reason I like to go with traditional preserves is that the ratio of fruit to sugar is higher and that's a taste I enjoy.

There are those who like low-sugar pectins for health reasons or because they just don't want quite so much sugar. I don't like such pectins because I detect an aftertaste and I find Pomona Pectin chalky. So I just eat less jam and figure it balances out. But obviously it's individual.

Thanks for posting the watermelon preserve recipe. That's the one I found, but it's always helpful to know what we're dealing with and sometimes such recipes provide inspiration for other members.

As far as your question about the watermelon preserves is concerned, I've never made them. I might give a melon preserve a try this summer if the crop is good, but watermelon is so high in water (well that's obvious!) it's difficult to imagine it would ever result in a preserve with the character (i.e. discernable "meaty" chunks in syrup) of a peach or a pear. It may be that some varieties of melon or homegrown ones bring you closer to the qualities you're looking for. Also, generally speaking, you'll have better luck using at least 1/4 slightly underripe fruit. The pectin is in the cell walls and as the fruit ripens, the pectin level goes down. Riper fruit needs less sugar but it's also less likely to set because of the loss of pectin. You have to have the proper balance of sugar, pectin and acid, the "Big Three," and that will vary from fruit to fruit and even crop to crop. As I said, it's a tightrope.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Globe artichokes are only to be frozen, not canned.
    There is a recipe for pickled Jerusalem artichokes.
    FREEZING ARTICHOKE, GLOBE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Select those with uniformly green color, compact globes
    and tightly adhering leaves. Size has little to do with
    quality or flavor. Remove outer bracts until light yellow
    or white bracts are reached. Cut off tops of bud and trim
    to a cone. Wash the hearts in cold water as soon as
    trimming is completed. Drain.

Scald 7 minutes. Cool, drain and pack in plastic
    freezer bags or can or freeze jars or plastic freezer boxes.
    Seal, label and freeze.

JAMS AND JELLIES

Q. What makes a gel? Why is it sometimes too stiff and sometimes runny?

A. Gels result from the interaction between acid, sugar, and pectin. A satisfactory gel requires the correct proportion of each of these ingredients. That is why it is important to follow recipes exactly and measure carefully.

Heat extracts pectin from fruit and boiling evaporates water, thus concentrating sugar and acid, producing gelatin. Jelly should be boiled in a large kettle to permit a rapid boil over a large surface area to evaporate water quickly. Recipes should not be doubled. When jelly fails to gel, it is because of incorrect proportions of ingredients. This can result from insufficient pectin, acid, or excess sugar, insufficient cooking, slow cooking, or overcooking. Jelly that is too stiff or tough results from using too much added pectin or boiling too long.

Q. Why do some recipes call for added pectin and others do not?

A. Some fruits, such as sour apples, lemons, and cranberries, contain enough pectin to form a gel without added pectin. Others, such as apricots, peaches, strawberries, and cherries, are low in pectin and need added amounts.

Q. Why is lemon juice called for in some recipes?

A. Lemon juice provides additional acid to fruits that are too low in acid to make a firm gel or a good tasting jelly. Very ripe fruit may need extra acid.

Watermelon does not have that much natural acid. I don't know how much pectin it has. Probably not much, since it is mostly water. Notice the added lemon juice in the recipes posted by the others, that would help it gel. Plus, it has added pectin. I would think you would need both in order to get watermelon to gel.

If you double jam/jelly recipes they will not gel. Do not double recipes as the mixture may not set. When a recipe is doubled, there is not enough surface area in the saucepot nor adequate boiling time for sufficient amount of liquid to evaporate.

Normally the lids crease because you put the rings on too tight. That or they can if in a pressure canner and the pressure fluctuates too quickly.

If the jars tip over, you may need a different rack or you can put a folded towel in the bottom of your rack and see if that helps. You need to keep them at a full boil.

I am not familiar with the spiced orange slices, but that sure seems like a long time to cook them. Unless you are talking about this glazed recipe, that seems they are candied...
    Glazed spiced orange slices
    Categories: Canning Preserves Etc
    Yield: 4 Servings
    4 Seedless oranges
    2 c Sugar
    ½ c Cider vinegar
    ¼ c Water
    5 Whole cloves
    3 Inch pieces of stick cinnamon

Slice oranges 1/4 inch thick. Discard ends. Place orange slices in saucepan. Add water to cover. Cover pan and simmer 30 minutes. Drain and rinse well. Return to pan. Add sugar, vinegar, water, cloves and cinnamon. Simmer 1 hour uncovered. Orange slices should be tender and well-glazed. Pack slices in sterilized jars, fill with hot syrup and seal. Excellent with game or poultry. Makes 1 quart.
    *They give no processing time..you need to process according to your recipe. I can see how the recipe above would work, since it is uncovered during cooking and the liquid should evaporate.

• thecurious1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HI Zabby,

Thanks for the support. I cant tell you why I wanted to start canning, I just knew it was time.

Linda Lou, you appear to be the grand dame of this board. I take you word that artichoke hearts can only be frozen and not canned. Is it something that has to do with the nature of the vegetable that makes it unsuitable for canning?

The sliced orange pickle recipe I have is basically the same as what you printed but not identical. Its from p. 164 of small batch preserving by Ellie Topp and is the following:

4 oranges
    8 cups hot water
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 light brown sugar
    1/2 cider vinegar
    1/4 cup corn syrop
    8 hwole cloves
    4 cardamon pds
    4 cinnamin sticks
    1/2 tsp of peppercorns

simmer oranges for 45 minutes, cut in 1/2 lengthwise. Combine rest of ingredients bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, slice fruit, add and simmer for 20 minutes, fill jars, seal and process.

Hi Melly of the south. Thanks for the recipe. There seem to be few preserving recipes for watermelon pulp. You can find a million for watermelon pickles, but only a very few for the pulp. Thanks again.

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

Welcom to the wonderful world of canning. I got hooked in 2004 so this is my 3rd summer now. I looked on a ph chart. It says that watermelon is over a 5 in ph which means it is low acid. I wonder if that is why the watermelon board's recipe is refrigerated and not canned. I don't know if the quarter cup of lemon juice would be enough to be safe. It is an interesting idea.

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

What I seem to remember from my classes is that they are one of those foods that by the time they would be processed long enough in a pressure canner, there would be nothing left of them. It depends upon the density of foods, how long it takes the heat to penetrate them during canning, the ph level, that determines safe canning methods and times.
    I tried to find more info online on the food safety sites, but all I find is the info about freezing them.
    I know sometimes it isn't always a matter of a food being safe to can (sometimes it is), but sometimes they just are basically not something a person would find appetizing. (Like canned plain cabbage, most people say YUCK ! )
    That is what I remember from my classes about the artichokes.

Sorry your oranges didn't turn out. It does seem that they should get sort of candied before going into the jars.
    Hey, we all have those kinds of canning projects that don't turn out.

• zabby17
    17 years ago

My first canning attempt involved clementines (it was January when I suddenly decided I needed to start canning --- like you, I've no idea why! the excuse was that my tomato garden was growing and I wanted to preserve more of it the next year but mostly I just wanted to play ;-) ). I had taken a half-dozen books out of the library (in summer the basic books like the Bernardin guides, Canadian equivalent of the Ball Blue Book, are easy to find but in this season in downtown Toronto canning was pretty much an nonexistent thing in the stores so I didn't know about them). I love clementines and they were in season and the only recipe I found for them involved using a dozen spices (including whole allspice berries, which I spent days hunting down, wanting to follow things to the letter!), cooking them, soaking them overnight, scooping them out with a slotted spoon and into something else, adding a liqueur --- it was immenensely complicated, and by the end I had mostly a brownish-orange sludge that I didn't even much like the taste of. (The recipe called for some liqueur I don't much like, and somehow it never occurred to me that the result would probably taste a lot like that. Duh!)

On the other hand, it was very satisfying to produce sealed jars of edible stuff! Soon I found some things that were easier and tastier, luckily (cranberry butter was next, I think).

Sounds like you're way smarter than I was to start off with, not to mention more energetic. Let us know what else you make!

Zabby

• thecurious1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Zabby-

I think you hit it on the head. I'm surprised at the satisfaction I get as I come home from work and look at sealed jars of edibles on my kitchen table. I go, "wow, I did that and it will sustain me when its cold outside." There are 5 well stocked supermarkets within a mile of my home, but this feels different. Go figure

I have ready access to cheap, high quality, frozen veggies, so outside of tomato sauce and artichoke hearts, I problably won't do a lot of vegetable canning. My next choice is the pickled asparagus spears in the small batch preserving book by Topp, but if I do, I need to hurry up because asparagus season is almost gone.

Right now, I'm mulling what Linda Lou said about jelling being an interaction between pectin, sugar and acid. The idea of the riper the fruit(i.e. better the flavor) the lower the pectin just seems like one of nataure's cruel jokes. The plum preserves I made from the recipe in Amendt's book are divine. I couldnt ask for a better flavor or a prettier look in the jar. But its just short of "jelling" as I understand it. It resembles a "thick, reduced poached fruit". The plums I used were dead ripe and based on the comments in this thread, I'm wondering if I should replace 1/4 of the volume of my recipe with slightly underripe fruit to get a better set? Maybe I've just eaten too much commercially prepared jam and don't have a clear idea of what the consistency of small batch, personally made jam should be like. We shall see.

Just a follow up to the watermelon issue. I tasted the melon pieces that were overflow from the two pints I processed. It had crumch, but it tasted "cooked". Not burned, but not the fresh taste I associate with watermelon. Maybe this is something that cannot be avoided. The peaches and plums I tasted still tasted "fresh", even though they are in jam and processed.

Lastly, my next project will be canteloupe jam. I have an older recipe that requires alum. I understand that alum is no longer used and that there are other ways to keep things crisp. What are they? I have seen the "pickle crisp". Can that be used for other fruits or is it only used for pickles? I'm just waiting for some really ripe canteloupes at a good price. I will let you know as soon as they are done.

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

After you taste a few batches, you can decide how you like the set. After all, you are making it for yourself. Some people like a softer set, some like a firmer set. If it is too soft, you can always use it as a sauce.

• thecurious1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Melly, you have a point. A couple of tablespoons of Kirsch or Cognac would make this a wicked topping.

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

I have not heard of anyone using Pickle crisp in fruits, just pickled vegetables. To me, the taste of it would not be something I would like in fruits. I can taste it, sort of a bitter taste. It does make the pickles crisp, though.
    From the Ball company on Pickle Crisp:
    Pickle Crisp is a natural mineral salt that keeps cucumbers and vegetables firm; yields crisp "fresh pack" pickles. Not recommended for "fermented" pickle recipes. This product replaces the need for old-fashioned firming agents but it does not replace "pickling salt" used in pickling liquid recipes.

Pickle Crisp is a dry granular product that is added to each jar after vegetables are packed and before the hot pickling liquid is added - before heat processing. Add 3/4 tsp (4 ml) Pickle Crisp to each 500 ml jar; 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) to each 1 L jar and 2 tsp (10 ml) to each 1.5 L jar of fresh pack pickles.

Each 78 g package yields 18 - 1 L jars. Each package contains three 26 g pouches, each yielding six 1 L jars, for a total of 18 1 L jars.

Available in stores selling home canning supplies, also available online.

Yes, if you use part fruit that is under ripe you will get a firmer gel due to the higher pectin.
    Here is a description of the different types of fruit spreads:
    KINDS OF FRUIT PRESERVES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JELLY: is made from strained fruit juice. The product is
    clear and firm enough to hold its shape when turned out of
    the container, yet soft enough to spread.

BUTTERS: are made by cooking fruit pulp and sugar until
    thick enough to spread easily. Spices are added depending on
    personal taste. The butter needs to be cooked slowly after
    the sugar is added to prevent scorching. Finer butters can
    be made by straining the pulp through a food mill and then
    through a fine-meshed sieve.

JAM: is made from crushed or ground fruit and tends to
    hold its shape but is generally less firm than jelly. Jams
    are cooked until they round up in a spoon. They should be
    made in small batches and cooked rapidly until the sugar
    dissolves.

CONSERVES: are jams made from a mixture of fruits, usually
    including citrus fruit; often raisins and nuts are added.
    Conserves are cooked until the mixture will round up in a
    spoon. They should be made in small batches and cooked
    rapidly.

MARMALADE: is a tender jelly with small pieces of fruit or
    peel distributed evenly throughout. It should be cooked in
    small batches and brought quickly to the jellying point
    after the sugar is added. A marmalade commonly contains
    citrus fruit; part of the white rind should be cooked
    with the fruit for most of the pectin is found there.

PRESERVES: are whole fruits or large pieces of fruit in a
    thick syrup, often slightly jellied. Preserves should be
    cooked in small batches in wide pans. If the syrup gets too
    thick before the fruit is tender and clear, add boiling
    water. If the fruit is clear and tender but the syrup is too
    thin, remove the fruit and cook the syrup rapidly to the
    desired consistency.

• zabby17
    17 years ago

> I think you hit it on the head. I'm surprised at the satisfaction I get as I come home from work and look at sealed jars of edibles on my kitchen table. I go, "wow, I did that and it will sustain me when its cold outside." There are 5 well stocked supermarkets within a mile of my home, but this feels different. Go figure.

I think it seems especially magical to big-city folk. I don't know if you are in Chicago proper more or less; I have since moved to a small town but until 2 years ago I've lived in huge metropolises all my life. I am used to the idea of food as something from the store, and even more than that of the necessities of life as being somethign you pay for rather than that you create.

It's a long-standing joke between my BF and me that in my city-bred family if you need something, you call a guy; in his small-town family, if you need something, you ARE the guy....

Zabby

• dgkritch
    17 years ago

For some reason Zabby, this cracked me up!
    "It's a long-standing joke between my BF and me that in my city-bred family if you need something, you call a guy; in his small-town family, if you need something, you ARE the guy...."

My life's been pretty much 180 degrees from yours (raised on farm/ranch, never lived in a town bigger than 140K people..and that was CROWDED!)

More than once I've had to figure out how to do something by myself, alter a recipe because I wasn't driving "to town" for ingredients, etc. It's so true that "necessity is the mother of invention".

When I graduated from high school, I lived on nearly 400 acres and drove 20 miles to school "in town". Population 7000. I couldn't wait to get away from that "hick" town. Moved to "the big city" (pop. 140K). Wasn't very many years and I couldn't get back to the country fast enough.
    Now I live on 12 acres, 5 miles from a town of 4000 and 15-20 miles (depends on which part of town you're going to) from the 140K pop.

But yes, often you ARE the guy (or gal). Deal with it!!!
    :+))
    Deanna

• thecurious1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How interesting. As a person who has lived in large cities all of my life( at least a million people-my high school graduating class had 1100 people in it), I was always the, "city kid who liked seeing things grow." I've dug up my backyard and grow pretty much anything that will tolerate a zone 5. I wont even start talking about the things I've done to "amend my soil". My Dad swears I need a farm.

I'm kind of on this path of, "How did it taste before we shortened the process?" Not only is it important to "taste the real", but of all the things I can give, giving my time and effort has become more important as I grow older. My broths are deeper, veggies usually roasted, greens pulled from the garden and quickly cooked. I want to taste it and I want others to understand that my offerings reflect the only thing that is uniquely mine. My effort in their behalf.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Deanna, I also grew up on a farm, about 7 miles from "town", population about 11,000 now, a lot less then. The nearest "big city" was Grand Rapids, population 198,000, about 50 miles away.

I moved into my home here about 20 years ago, in a much smaller "town", population a bit less than 1,000, not even a town, really. I still want to get back out "into the country" although Dad still owns the farm I grew up on and I go there several times a week.

And yes, most times I am "the guy". LOL

Annie

• zabby17
    17 years ago

Well, having done both ways, I appreciate both lifestyles.

(One of the saddest things about moving to my rural area was that people here pretty universally hate the city and feel the need to dis it all the time. I'm always asked, "Aren't you glad you escaped? Isn't it awful?" I understand that many people don't like city life, and that most people who DO like it move to the city, so it makes sense that people here would mostly be of the sort who prefer to avoid it. But I am baffled by the apparent need to get everyone to agree with them. Different strokes for different folks --- or in my case, for different stages of one's life! Sorry to meander. I hope not to start a debate here on country vs. city life. It's just somehting I've noticed a lot lately that makes me sad, because while I lvoe my new life I also loved my old one. )

It's satisfying to "be the guy" and do more things for oneself, but I also have an admiration for the incredible expertise of some folks. I do love watching someone who really knows his or her stuff work. In my family you got big points for knowing just the right person to call for a given job (whether it's fixing the air conditioner or making good thai food), and it can be very nice to be able to do so, and trust that person while you go and do whatever it is that YOU do best.

But this lifestyle defintiely suits my BF. We recently shattered our rear windshield on the car, and he replaced it himself with plexiglass and some bolts and some caulk. It stands out a mile when we visit my parents in suburbia, but here it just fits right in. ;-)

Zabby

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!