SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanny_christina

Jam tastes like pectin

nanny_christina
16 years ago

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me. I have been making strawberry jam for years, but this year is my first time using an electric stove instead of gas. I'm not sure if that has to do with my problem or not.

I use ball pectin (powder) and follow their recipe almost exactly. My jam has always been fine in the past, but the two batches I've made this week taste like pectin more than strawberry. The pectin is new, just bought at the store this week. The lemon juice, sugar and strawberries are also new.

The only part of the process that has been different is the amount of time at a rapid boil. I've always done about 90 seconds, but I've noticed on the electric stove that even when I pull it off the burner, it continues to boil for about 30 seconds.

The consistency has been a bit harder than usual, mostly because I've had some trouble with the timing. But it still spreads on bread so it isn't really tough. I've had other batches that turned out worse, but the consistency didn't affect the taste.

If you could help me out, I'd appreciate it. I'm at the point where I'm not sure what else to try. I've done a lot of googling and I can't find any advice about how to get rid of the pectin taste. I normally make about 10 batches and I'd really like to have that much again this year.

Christina

Comments (7)