SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobinmsp

Pickled Green Tomato Recipe - Are Changes OK?

bobinmsp
13 years ago

About a year ago, I bought some pickled green tomatoes at a farmer's market. The jar had tomatoes, chili peppers and garlic in it. I've looked for a tested recipe for non-sweet green tomato pickles, and the only one that I've come up with is this NCHFP recipe for Kosher Style Dill Green Tomato Pickles:

Kosher Style Dill Green Tomato Pickles

* Small green firm tomatoes

* 6 stalks celery, cut in 2-inch lengths

* 6 sweet green peppers, seeded and quartered

* 6 cloves garlic

* 2 quarts water

* 1 quart distilled white vinegar (5%)

* 1 cup canning or pickling salt

* Fresh dill to taste

Yield: About 6 quart jars

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure: Remove stems and cores from green peppers; quarter and remove seeds. Wash and drain all vegetables. Pack washed tomatoes in hot jars. Add to each quart jar: 1 clove of garlic, 1 stalk of celery and 4 quarters of green pepper.

Combine water, vinegar and salt. Boil with the dill for 5 minutes. Pour the hot brine over the vegetables in jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner.

These will be ready for use in 4 to 6 weeks.

Table 1. Recommended process time for Kosher Style Dill Green Tomato Pickles in a boiling-water canner. (Raw Pack - Quarts)

Process Time at Altitudes of

0- 1,000 ft 15 min.

1,001 - 6,000 ft 20 min.

Above 6,000 ft 25 min.

I've tried a test run of the recipe (in advance of tomato-harvest time) and think that I'll probably like the recipe. However.....

By the time I get the celery and green peppers into the quart jars, there's barely any room for green tomatoes. I'm fairly new to pickling, so I'm hesitant to make changes to tested recipes without someone with more knowledge telling me that I'm not going to kill my family by doing so. So here are my newbie questions:

Can I leave out the celery completely? If I leave it out, can I put a little celery seed in instead?

Can I reduce the amount of green peppers and/or substitute hot chliis for the green peppers? From reading other threads (generally about salsas) it seems to me that as long as the total volume of peppers is not increased, I should be OK. Ultimately, I'd prefer to just stick a couple of hot chilis in and leave out the green peppers completely.

From reading other recipes I assume that it's unsafe to increase the amount of garlic in the recipe. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your help. Even though this is the first post to this forum, I've learned a lot from all of you.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Kosher Style Dill Green Tomato Pickles

Comments (11)