SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thetradition

Biochar

thetradition
10 years ago

last winter, I read a post that I'm too lazy to search for talking about biochar, so I decided to set up my own little totally unscientific experiment on the concept. I have a fire pit and burned some pine logs until they were basically chunks of charcoal and then put it out with a hose. I used it as described below.

I grow tomatoes in a variety of locations around my yard. Some get more sun than others, some get more water than others, but my thought is, if a site is rich with nematodes, or gets overrun with army worms, or gets hit with some sort of fungal disease, then my other plants are far away and unlikely to get caught up in the carnage.

Anyway, I did a variety of beds with various types of soil amendments (including the biochar):

Peat + existing soil

Bagged "Osmocote Garden Soil" + existing soil

Homemade compost + existing soil

Biochar + "Osmocote Garden Soil" + existing soil.

Here were the results:

Peat + existing soil: Produced a very poor plant. However, it did produce after others had given up, but stink bugs got my late tomatoes. This site had average sun exposure and high watering exposure (from well-fed lawn sprinklers).

Bagged "Osmocote Garden Soil" + existing soil: Productive cherry tomato location, but nematodes got them and eliminated any late production. This site had high sun exposure and high water exposure.

Homemade compost + existing soil: Good production but early decline from nematode and fungal disease pressure. This site had high sun exposure and average water exposure. It also has an unusual (for my yard) clay substate as clay fill dirt was trucked in to create a "hill" for my pool area.

Biochar + "Osmocote Garden Soil" + existing soil: This is the point of this post. The plants from all the other sites are done and have been pulled, but this site continues have two leafy plants producing cherry tomatoes (Supersweet 100). This site is shady and receives less than average water.

Is the biochar responsible for the late production? Or the shade? Or the lack of water pressure? Sure is interesting to me. More data are needed.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH