SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
backyardbum

fermenting tomatoes question

backyardbum
11 years ago

It sounds so yummmy. I really want this to work. so far I have made two jars of mush. I am certain with your help I can master this. Let me tell you what I did and you can tell me all the things I misunderstood or everything I did wrong.( and I did reserch this after reading a couple of threads on this forum---Still can't get it right.)

Washed store bought grape tomatoes.

pierced several times with needle.

put in a quart jar.

covered with brine (3 tablespoons canning salt to 1 quart water 2 cloves garlic and 1 tablespoon dill seeds.)

crushed sandwitch bags to keep under brine added ziploc bag of water for weight.

The first time there was a tiny bit of brine leak out of the jar. Then it turned cloudy, tomatoes sank and turned to mush.

The second time they sat there and laughed at me and did nothing. When I finally gave in and opened them I had a jar of rotten tomatoes.

House temp then was 72* to 75* (I'm thinking that may be too warm. (It is 107 now so I will have to do some managing to get a place ready by the time the tomatoes are ready. growing cherry tomatoes for this project, and from the looks of things I am going to have enough of these for the whole county.)

Thanks for your time. I love a challenge!

Lynn

Comments (11)