SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_in_washington

Our Canning Kitchen; Equipment; Tools; and 'Toys'

We have a separate building, about 30 feet from our kitchen door, that once housed a two-car garage and extra room. A major remodeling created a large sewing studio and bathroom (from the "garage") and a wonderful canning kitchen (from the extra room). Our canning kitchen and storage room are approximately 12' x 20' ... with the kitchen itself about 12' x 15'. In 2005 we had it created to our specifications: (Note that we were not legally allowed to create a full kitchen AND a full bathroom in this building, since we already had a second dwelling unit on our property -- a two-bedroom cottage -- and zoning only allows one additional dwelling unit other than our home. We settled for a full bathroom; finished the kitchen sans the gas cooktop; obtained our final inspection on the building permit; then installed the gas cooktop on the sly. Sshhh. Don't tell.)

Our Canning Kitchen consists of:

Bright room with large window over sink, and one half-glass door with screen/glass storm door; Overhead lights with fan; Linoleum flooring; Separate wall heater; "L" shape white kitchen upper and lower cabinets with tile counters and backsplash; Kohler porcelain sink (Lg and Sm sections) with sprayer faucets and Instant Hot Water; Built-in Dishwasher with Sanitizing setting; KitchenAid gas cooktop; Upright freezer; Upright refrigerator/freezer; Small worktable and chairs with seat cushions!; Cabinet to store jams, jellies, etc; and a TV and boombox. There's an open doorway to the sewing studio.

(There's an additional storage closet in the back of the kitchen -- 12' x 5' with shelves running the length. Dozens and dozens of clean, empty jars are stored there, all with Stretch-Tite plastic wrap over them, divided by size/mouth size. I also store my soapmaking and candlemaking supplies there, too.)

Equipment:

Two Mehu-Liisa steam juicers; Two Graniteware Boiling Water Bath kettles; Two Steam Canners; One Maslin (Preserving) pan; One Le Creuset Dutch oven; Set of Pyrex Clear Mixing Bowls plus more large bowls and two colanders ; Two Qt. Pyrex measuring cups; Two Norpro Cherry Pitters; Villaware Food Strainer; Vita-Mix blender; Excaliber Dehydrator (very soon); Oster Kitchen Center; Revere saucepans to heat lids and sugar water; Foodsaver and bags;

Supplies:

Lots of teatowels, potholders, and aprons; Drawers filled with extra lids, rings, pectin, pickling spices, mixes, etc; Cabinet with sugar, Splenda and Clear Jel; Drawers with spoons, tongs, ladles, thermometer, Sharpie pens, knives, plastic wrap, garbage and ziplock bags; Two large chopping boards; Binder with all manuals and instructions; Two Binders with favorite recipes in sheet protectors, categorized; Favorite canning cookbooks; Tubs and buckets for picking and sorting fruit; and, of course, all the cleaning supplies.

Some would say that a solid surface countertop and stainless steel sink would have been preferable -- but this kitchen is styled in an old fashioned way, so this is what I chose. The colors are pale olive green and white, with a black accent trim. The painted table (with drop leaf sides) and chairs once belonged to my grandparents and is definitely old. I have some reprints of 1909 paintings done of fruits introduced by Luther Burbank (I used to be a docent at his home/museum in Santa Rosa, California) and those are on the walls. And I have some old labels from fruit crates. It's just a very nice room that I enjoy spending time in, which is just as well, because you know how much time we spend taking care of food in the summer!

I should also mention that we have 150 fruit trees: 50+ cherries (Early Burlat, Montmorency, Lambert, Rainier, Hardy Giant, and Bing) Frost Peach (a Puget Sound regional variety); Plums (Methley, Italian Prune-Plum, Mirabelle, Beauty); Apricots (not doing well right now); Pears (Anjou, Bartlett, Comice, Bosc); Asian Pears (Shinko, Chojuro, Hosui); Apples (12 varieties); Walnuts; Blueberries (12 youngish plants - 4 varieties); Figs (2 young trees). We have the orchard area irrigated, and my husband enjoys mowing it weekly so it always appears well kept. Family and friends pick; we share; and we have plenty. Sometimes we allow u-pick of the extra cherries or plums, which are very plentiful. We don't spray; and we hire one fellow to do our pruning every year. Needless to say, we rarely leave town during the months of July through early October, though! We know we are very blessed, and we don't take anything for granted.

Kathy in Washington

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths