SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
belgianpup

Handy tools and equipment?

Belgianpup
12 years ago

A couple of weeks ago, one of my rail crews (my job is driving railroad crews around) was talking about how useful a peasant hoe is for weeding in the garden. Then last week I started reading a gardening book, and the author was telling how useful a peasant hoe is. Before now, I'd never HEARD of a peasant hoe! I need to investigate that.

I learn new stuff practically every day, even after all these years. What have YOU got, made or seen that I need to know about?

Stand-to-plant sowing tubes, made from some 3/4-inch PVC, a stick of wood, two fiberglass rods, some rubber bands and a bit of strapping tape. Cheap, easy, clever, BACK-SAVING. For directions, see Carol Deppe's book The Resilient Gardener, which has a photo, and the how-to is on pg. 105.

Galvanized steel cattle panels (16 ft x 52 in., about $30)-- I keep finding more uses for these things: hoop houses, temporary fences, trellises, drying racks, etc.

Steel concrete reinforcing mesh (84x42inches, about $8) is much lighter (and more flexible) than the cattle panels (maybe 1/8in or so), and it rusts, but it still makes serviceable trellises with holes big enough to reach through to harvest tomatoes and peas. Not galvanized, they rust, but cheap enough to replace occasionally.

So, whatcha got at your place?

Sue

Comments (8)