SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
readinglady_gw

Review of Eugenia Bone's Well-Preserved

readinglady
14 years ago

Review of Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods:

I recently purchased several new canning books and thought I would share my thoughts on this one first, since it has generated a lot of interest.

1) The author Initially based on material online, I was concerned about BoneÂs commitment to safe canning principles. Those concerns have been largely allayed, though I do have a couple of "quibbles."

Eugenia Bone took Master Food Safety Advisor Volunteer Training through the Colorado Extension. The book was reviewed by two Colorado Extension staffpersons and she also acknowledges "insights" from Dr. Elizabeth Andress of the NCHFP.

My "quibbles" are on pressure canner size  she mentions using one that will hold 4 pints  the wait time, which is "10 minutes or so" AFTER the lid is removed. Finally, in the pickling section, the importance of salt weight (i.e. kosher vs. pickling salt) is not clearly explained and measurements are given by volume.

Other than that, Bone seems as safety-conscious and as cognizant of current canning principles as youÂre likely to find in a book on the market today, with the exception of NCHFP and Ball/Bernardin publications.

2) Preservation Principles: The first section is All About Canning and it comes pretty close. The language is accessible and covers 99.5% of what a newcomer needs to know.

Bone addresses spoilage agents, pH, boiling water bath vs. pressure canning, testing of gauges, altitude adjustments, preparation of jars and lids, etc.

Freezing, Pickling, Storing in Oil (under refrigeration), Curing and Smoking are similarly discussed. I read each section except for curing, because thatÂs an aspect of preservation about which I know very little, so I'm not qualified to judge.

3) Contents: Following the section mentioned above, the Table of Contents is organized into Fruits; Vegetables; Beans, Nuts and Fungi; Meat, Poultry and Fish.

For 224 pages, you wonÂt get as many preserving recipes as you think. If youÂre interested exclusively in canning, you wonÂt be interested in the freezing, curing, smoking or refrigerated recipes.

For each preserved food, three recipes using it are provided.

So Cherries in Wine is followed by Cherry Tenderloin, Seared Duck Breast with Cherries and Cherry Dessert Soup with Mascarpone.

Pear, Port, and Thyme Conserve is used in a Butternut Squash Soup with Pear, Port, and Thyme Conserve; Veal Tails with P,P, and T Conserve; and Gingerbread with P, P, and T Conserve.

I would consider the recipes largely "gourmet." They sound excellent, but I havenÂt run across any veal tails lately and doubt I have much call for a recipe, though of course recipes can be adapted. Ellie Topp does something similar in a final chapter of her book Small-Batch Preserving but I think her recipes are more useful for the mainstream.

Clearly the title is misleading. This book is as much cookbook as food preservation collection. It costs $16.47 on Amazon ($24.95 U.S. List and $29.95 Canadian) which isn't an insignificant amount for a paperback.

I haven't mentioned graphics, typeface, photography, paper, etc. I've probably talked enough already. But unless you have one of those recipe book holders, you'll never be able to keep it open while working. It definitely doesn't lay flat.

IÂm not sorry I bought this book. I found a lot thatÂs inspiring. ItÂs a great book if you want to extend beyond the norm while feeling confident the preservation recommendations are sound. ItÂs not for the harried mom or dad worried about breaking the budget and trying to fill the shelves with things the average kid will eat.

If thereÂs any interest, IÂll be happy to review other new purchases as I get to them.

Carol

Comments (11)