SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
work_in_progress_08_gw

HELP Questions about canning ~ fruits, sauces, etc.

This last birthday, my DSIL outfitted me with all of the things needed to start canning the fruits and vegetables that will soon come to the end of the growing season here. I've been talking about wanting to do canning for years, so now I can actually do it.

Yesterday we did a Peach Jam recipe from WS' "The Art of Preserving" (part of my gift, lol). The recipe went very well, all jars sealed, the jam tastes great, etc.

This morning we did a recipe found online at the WS website called Simple Tomato Sauce. If you were to follow this recipe to the letter, you end up with tomato water. The recipe calls for putting the cooked plum tomatoes through a foodmill after cooking, and before sealing in the water bath. Obviously didn't care for the consistency of the very thin liquid that the foodmill provided, so we decided to put the tomato mixture into a blender and pulse to achieve the consistency of a thicker spaghetti sauce-type product. We followed the rest of the preserving instructions to the letter.

After the jars boiled for the alotted time period, we removed them from the water bath just as we did with the Peach Jam the day before.

The problem is, each jar has approx. 1.5 of very thin, almost watery (if that's a word) tomato liquid at the bottom below the nice thick looking tomato sauce.

I've searched the internet and found that this can happen for a variety of reasons, but IIRC, there are a few gals here on the forum that do a bit of canning. Any thoughts as to why this happened, and if the seals are okay, is all of this sauce considered preserved?

We could refrigerate all of the jars and try to use them within a month, but I thought if someone on the forum has run into this problem, it would ease my mind to know that what we've canned is safe, and perhaps why it happened.

TIA.

Comments (8)