SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
motochick_gw

Spaghetti sauce canning recipe question

motochick
17 years ago

I finally got my batch of spaghetti sauce canned this week, it went from a 2-night project to a 3-night project, whew. I'm still not 100% happy with it, even after hours and hours of cooking it still separates, but it tastes fine so that's what will have to do. lol It's very thick with small puddles that form, and I got more out of it than the recipe said, but it's all for my BF and myself so it's not like I'm entering it in competition. It might just be the tomatoes, they were impossible to peel even in the boiling water vat.

My question is about my next batch. Nearly all the recipes I've seen and/or used call for the 30 pounds of tomatoes and then the 1 cup onion, 1 cup green pepper OR celery, 1 pound optional mushrooms. I like that recipe, it's got all the stuff in it I like. Then I doctor the seasonings and add some wine, and it's got my signature on it. But I saw a recipe in a book I have, Blue Ribbon Preserves, that calls for 15 pounds of tomatoes, with 1 cup onions, 1 cup mushrooms, etc. Sometimes I get overly paranoid about the onion in canning and this ratio is slightly heavier on the onion. What's the rule of thumb? The recipe calls for pressure canner processing, which is how I did my recent project, and it's actually fine because then I feel more comfortable with it. But how much onion could I have put in the batch with the 30 pounds of tomatoes? Could I have increased it a little?

Comments (5)