SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tietie

claussen type pickles

tietie
14 years ago

hey everyone. It has been a really really long time. We have moved across the country, moved across the state, and had a baby in the last 5 years. So that is why I've been scarce for such a long time. Our son is now old enough that I can 'do a garden', so I here I am.

I have some first timer type questions regarding fermented pickles. Here's the recipe:

Fermented Dill Pickles Refrigerated "Claussen" Type

1 Gallon Jar

Pickling Cucumbers

12 Fresh Dill Flower heads, or

2 Tbsp Dried dill weed and

2 Tbsp. Dried dill seed

10 to 12 Cloves Garlic

6 to 8 Peppercorns

1/4 Cup Vinegar

1/2 Cup Salt

1 1/2 Quarts Water

In 1 gallon jar add pickling cucumbers Rinse but do not wash the cucumbers. Add Dill flower heads or dried dill weed and seed, garlic, peppercorns, and vinegar. Dissolve salt in water and add to jar. Fill jar the remaining way with water. Add weight to keep cucumbers under brine.

Fermentation sequence

1. Clear brine  no cloudiness for 1 to 3 days

2. Cloudy brine with gas formation, 2-3 days

3. Cloudy brine  no gas formation, 5 to 6 days

Pickles ready to eat after 10-11 days.

Refrigerate pickles if you do not want to process them.

To process the pickles

Fill clean, sterilized quart jars with pickles to within 1/2inch of the top. Wipe, seal, and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Remove and place on towel in a draft free area. Label and date. Store in a dark, cool area.

Here's my questions:

1. I dont have a glass gal jar,can I use 2- 1/2 gal jars instead?

2. how do i make the brine to fill the bag for the weight?

3. should I remove blossom & stem end?

4. will there be scum and what do I do with it?

5. to process do I fill with the fermenting liquid?

6. I recall some discussion way back about bwb at a lower temp than boiling. If this is safe, what temp can they be processed at? (I don't have a steam canner so info regarding that is not desired)

7. how soon after picking do I need to start fermenting them

Please share any additional tips/tricks for fermenting pickles. The cuccumbers are sitting on my counter as we speak.

Comments (24)