SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momto4kids_gw

Big Batch Habanero Gold...Can it get bigger?

momto4kids
16 years ago

I have the Habanero Gold and the Big Batch recipes and have made one batch of each. I LOVE the extra hot version of the Big Batch!! HOT!!!

Because I love it so much, I go through it very quickly. I'm gearing up to make more. I'm still very new to all this. Annie was kind enough to get me started. She did caution me that I can't just go doubling and tripling recipes. I want to make about three or four dozen 8-oz jars. The Big Batch did yield 6 jars for me. So, I'm thinking I'll want to make about 8 times the big Batch recipe.

I'm certain I can't do this all in one day. But how much can I do at one time? Is it too ambitious to think I could get 24 jars done in one day? If I want to make four batches to get 24 jars, do I need to make four separate pots for Day 1 of the recipe? Since I wouldn't have added the pectin at this point, could I multiply the recipe by 4, cook it, let it sit overnight, then carefully divide it (by weight) into 4 pots for the return to boil/addition of pectin?

When I've got the first 6 jars in the BWB for 10 minutes, can I be finishing up the boiling/pectin part of another pot? But what if I get ahead? Can the next 6, 12 or 18 jars sit out, ready to be processed? Is there a time limit on how long they can sit before I get them processed? Would it just be better if I entirely completed one batch at a time before proceeding to the next?

Maybe my plan IS too ambitious! LOL! I can see doing all of this one batch after the other, and probably over several days, but I wanted to check if there is anything I can do to produce more jars without upsetting the recipe and make sure I'm efficient in the process!

Thanks!

Comments (24)