SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swflagrdnr

Better than Roundup

swflagrdnr
16 years ago

I am trying to find a grass/weedkiller that is better than roundup. Invasive bermuda grass that somehow made its way into my bahia/st. aug lawn is invading my beds. I also made some beds on TOP of my lawn and the bermuda is coming up through the heavy layer of mulch (six inches of hardwood mulch). In addition, I have spurge and other "junky" weeds in my beds. Finally, I have a huge area (4 foot by 75 foot) that I am trying to turn into a bed. Before I put the mulch down I want to kill everythign currently growing there.

Roundup, for whatever reason is just not cutting it for me. I put it down, but it don't work. I have put it on Bahia, St augustine and bermuda and its not working. I need something stronger. I am not too worried about poisoning the soil, but I dont want to dump motor oil on the ground (lol).

Disclaimers - please do not recommend cardboard, vinergar or burning. These are lovely organic practices. I use organics a lot. But I am not a retiree and I dont have time to deal with the almost guarateed failure of these methods. The cardboard idea I like, but I would have a tough time finding enough of it. Putting down fabric or plastic is also out of the question.

I needs a liquid. A chemical. A poison.

I know that HD, Lowes etc sell a number of different kinds of weed/bruch killer. Which of these works? which doesnt? Is there something "off label" I could use. Dont worry about recommending a nasty compound, I intend to use just enough to do the job, not enough to posion the water table.

Any ideas?

Comments (17)