SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skeip

Dill Pickles-Chase (Sharon)

skeip
13 years ago

Getting ready for "The Season", and am reviewing recipes. I saved this one because it got rave reviews on this site, but I need a bit of clarification. The jars are packed and sealed, but never processed? Did I miss a step or is that correct? Sounds like they are left to ferment in the jars? Clarification greatly appreciated. Here is the recipe I have:

Dill Pickles-Chase (Sharon)

8 pounds 3 to 4 inch long pickling cucumbers

4 cups white vinegar

12 cups water

2/3 cup pickling salt

16 cloves garlic, peeled and halved

8 sprigs fresh dill weed

8 heads fresh dill weed

Wash cucumbers, and place in the sink ( I use the bathtub!) with cold water and lots of ice cubes. Soak in ice water for at least 2 hours but no more than 8 hours. Refresh ice as required. Sterilize 8 (1 quart ) canning jars and lids in boiling water for at least 10 minutes.

In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine the vinegar, water, and pickling salt. Bring the brine to a rapid boil.

In each jar, place 2 half-cloves of garlic, one head of dill, then enough cucumbers to fill the jar (about 1 pound). Then add 2 more garlic halves, and 1 sprig of dill. Fill jars with hot brine. Seal jars, making sure you have cleaned the jar's rims of any residue.

Store pickles for a minimum of 8 weeks before eating. Refrigerate after opening. Pickles will keep for up to 2 years if stored in a cool dry place.

Steve

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert