SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlbug2

Making your own fruit syrups--it's WORTH it!

girlbug2
12 years ago

Just finished a second batch of Boysenberry syrup adapting Linda Z's strawberry syrup recipe. Also made Strawberry Syrup last month, Blueberry syrup last year. My dear husband had bought me some of Knott's boysenberry syrup before my boysenberries ripened and I had a chance to compare the taste of my homemade boysenberry syrup against the commercially made syrup--wow what a difference!

IF you are lucky enough to be able to find fruit flavored syrups in the supermarket these days (they've all but disappeared from the shelves around here), they're made from corn syrup as opposed to real sugar that we home cooks would of course be using. Corn syrup gives an entirely different flavor and mouth feel. Sugar is much tastier hands down--not to mention the fruit flavor is more intense in the homemade recipe; I suspect the commercial syrup makers just add puree to corn syrup as little as they can get away with to make it taste like the fruit it's supposed to. A home recipe asks us to take a few more minutes with mashing, boiling, straining, and reducing, but it's SO worth it!!

Once you try this, you'll never go back.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm