SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlsingardens

Making your own baby food, my experience

girlsingardens
16 years ago

Maggie asked some questions so thought that I would post my experience and some ideas and hints. Hayden is 7 months and was ready for solids at 4 months, the same with Rhiannon, now Peyton was close to a year before she would take solids. So each child is different. If sharing your meal make sure to either take out a portion before salting or use spices instead of salt which is better for everyone.

Hayden is eating everything now. I started him at 4 months once that reflex that babies have to spit everything out stopped. One thing i found that my little ones loved first was graham crackers. They would disolve as they sucked and gnawed on them.

As for food for Hayden this summer I made the following, cooking and pureeing then freezing in ice cube trays each cube equals an ounce, summer squash, zucchini, wax beans, apples, pears, butternut squash,broccoli, acorn squash, beets and greenbeans. I either grew all these or bought them at the farmer's market. I also froze, apples, peaches, cantalope, honeydew mellon, green peppers and cherries to use when the first batch was gone. Also buy the discount banana's that are going brown and smoosh them up for baby. None of my kids liked rice cereal at all so switched to oatmeal right away.I use the cereal as a thickener. Right now Hayden is loving yougurt, I asked Dr. and she said that it is a good source of protein and it is okay as long as it is pasturized not homemade. Hayden only wants to breast feed or eat yourgurt right now with the 4 teeth coming in so my milk supply is going up, the old supply and demand.

Another thing is that babies don't have to have bland food all the time. Think about it in Spain or Italy do you think that they make special things for the baby's or that the mama's who breast feed only eat bland things. What I also do is that I have 3 of the baby food grinders and will grind up what ever we are having for a meal for Hayden and feed him that. I will warn you that ham and beans gives the toots:) It is so easy to do and so much cheaper.

What I would do would be to make up several batches of frozen baby food cubes. Bake or steam the fruit or veggie, then puree in blender. Freeze in ice cube trays and then put into marked gallon zip lock bags. Each cube is about an ounce and mix and match. Like when we had chicken noodle soup, I added a cube of squash for nutrients. Fresh is best, then frozen and last canned veggies and fruits. I know that our grocery store has an area of marked down fruits and veggies that may be bruised but are fine to make baby food out of. Pick a day and just make several batches of food and all you have to do is pull out a cube or 2 and microwave for 30 seconds and you are ready to go.

I can tell you after 3 kids I have maybe bought 3 jars of baby food total for each kid, if not less. My neighbor was telling me about how her granddaughters buy special babyfood that is in the freezer section and are in cubes. Boy are they expensive and not all stores carry them. My neighbor laughed because she knew that the expensive food that they were buying was no different than the homemade cubes that I have made. And at least I know where all the fruits and veggies came from and how they were made.

Here is a link that might be useful: The baby food grinder that I use

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996