SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

I challenge you to a staghorn throwdown! Show me your pics!

dirtymartini
13 years ago

LOL...I was just posting on another thread about our large staghorn fern. My parents started growing in it the late 70's, I think. I am sharing a picture.

Show me your huge staghorn!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:897318}}

Comments (43)

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is just a funny picture...a friend told me they like to "eat" bananas...we started wondering if they might like wine, too...so here I am giving the staghorn both, hahaha.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:897319}}

• stuartwanda
    13 years ago

Wow, that's a big staghorn! I've seen some big ones before but not that big! Looks like the ponys have a nice place to rome. My paddock for my 2 horses wasn't very big but they got turned out during the day.

• Related Discussions

I'll Show You Mine, If You'll Show Me Yours, Wednesday, July 8

Q

Comments (12)
    Wonderful pics everyone! I didn't get up in time to take a pic of our fog this morning. This is a picture of a project in the making. I am starting a sedum and cactus garden out front, and these are some of the plants that I have been collecting for awhile. I have more! (yep - hubby says its a sickness....lol!) And yep - I live in Iowa, so this will be a challenge and a bit different. Thanks for letting me join in! MonaRae
    ...See More

I'll Show You Mine, If You'll Show Me Yours, Friday July 18

Q

Comments (21)
    Ron, I have a three-year-old Endless Summer. It has one (1) bloom on it. How can I improve this situation? Yours is beautiful! Hi Jane - Finding out the exact age of my house has been on my To Do list for some time. (It's a slow-moving list.) I was told it's a Civil War house, and a knowledgeable antique dealer estimated 1850 or earlier. I should be able to find out. Here's another view of it. Two sections were added on to the back after it was built.
    ...See More

I'll Show You Mine/You Show Me Yours - Sun 9/9

Q

Comments (25)
    Socks, I order from Bits and Pieces 3 or 4 times a year. 6 to 8 puzzles at a time, sent directly to a sister-in law. When she is done with them, I pick them up and do them. The one I posted yesterday on the Show Me thread came from Walmart. A new brand to me with very interesting subjects in the 500 piece count. The puzzle box is very sturdy and has a sleeve type cover with the subject pic and info on it. Inside is a picture to follow and a zip lock bag for storage of the pieces when you are done. The brand is Dowdle Puzzles.
    ...See More

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - M 4/13

Q

Comments (29)
    Truckee River near Reno Happy Halloween with the neighborhood kids
    ...See More
  • dirtymartini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks Stu. I am curious to see if anyone on this board has one similar in size or bigger. I am so glad my parents hung it on a chain all those years ago!

My minis have it made!Totally spoiled! Two big paddocks that we keep opened up, and a three stall barn attached. I just leave the stalls open to the paddock, never stall them. They have fans in the stalls that I run all day...but they never seem to want to use them, they prefer the big shade tree with the staghorn to stand under. I also have a small pasture to the front of our yard, and I turn them out from 4pm til dark every day...not a lot of shade so I wait til the sun starts to fall in the west.

Here is a picture of Bruno, this is also in the paddock. Has nothing to do with this thread, LOL. The staghorn is just to the left in this picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:897320}}

• User
    13 years ago

my wife always whispers, size doesn't matter, damn that's a big staghorn. gave mine a magnum bottle of luna de luna! love the challenge!

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ROTFLMAO! LOVE the pic, wallisadi! Ha...I am just giving mine a measley glass...you are giving yours a whole bottle!!!

Ok, Ok...I give! You may have the biggest staghorn!:) Love that you live in Deland. My grandma lived there for many years and I visited her often. She was just a block or two from downtown and from Stetson. We ate at Wally and Julys often....maybe you know it? Haven't been to Deland since she passed, about 8 years ago. Great town!

Thanks for the picture and the smile!

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

how old is that staghorn...do you know?

• jaxtropix
    13 years ago

Do you take it down on freezing nights? There are some huge ones at Washington Oaks Gardens State Park in Palm Coast hanging from the live oaks. They've been there so long that the wood has begun to callus over the chains!

• corar4gw
    13 years ago

I'm not even going to TRY to post a photo of my little staghorn! It has barely survived this northern climate the past fifteen years - even tho I've fed it bananas. I think I may have stunted its growth by witholding the wine.
    cora

• katkin_gw
    13 years ago

What is it you are feeding the staghorn? Mine is way smaller then both of yours, but I haven't fed it anything.:o)

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My friend told me old bananas...just leave the peel on and toss it on the top. I don't really do it, and I doubt my parents did it all those years ago.

This Staghorn "grew up" in Miami and now resides west of Ft Lauderdale (my house!) Usually, if we have feezing temps, we ony have them for a night or two. This last winter was an exception, but I did not do anything to the fern. I am guessing it is so huge and hardy that it would take a lot to kill it? Knock on wood.

I know they are very easy to propogate...but I am scared to cut any part of it. I would like to stick a few in some other trees on the property.

• User
    13 years ago

mine was born in deerfield beach, fl. has to be at least twenty years old. d.m., yours is much bigger! got divorced, she got the truck, furniture, my john prine cd's.....i got the staghorn. they don't do as well up here, cold takes a hit on them every year and we cover. them don't need fertilizer, live off the debris from the trees, bugs ect... good post....!!!!!!!

• Irma_StPete
    13 years ago

dirtymartini, you're awfully generous to wallisadi...I think your staghorn has his beat.

• stuartwanda
    13 years ago

I've heard that they like bananna peals. I gree, Dirtymartin has the biggest, at least so far.

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, ok..I am still the winner of the throwdown. Hope to see more pics from others!

Off to google "John Prine." :)

• saldut
    13 years ago

I have a staghorn from 1970, it is over 8 feet tall, hanging from a huge pecan tree from a stainless steel boat chain.... I don't have a camera, but the thing broke the former chain and my 6'5" son had to stand on a ladder and have a friend hoist that thing up so he could wind a heavier chain around it , over the limb......ask Tom abt. it he saw it when he stopped by here.... it is a monster.... sally

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ohhh, I really want to see a picture! Sounds awesome!

• babalu_aye
    13 years ago

Here is mine. It is nowhere near as big as Dirtymartini's or Wallisadi's ... Yet! LOL

It is about 12 years old. I started it from a leaf that I found in the pot of a plumeria that someone had given me. The original leaf had one of those round psuedo-leaves attached to the base of it. All I did was put in a hanging coco fiber basket and it took off and engulfed the hanging basket.

I've also heard that they like banana peels, but have only fed it a couple of times. I've never covered mine during cold snaps and it hasn't had any problem even though I lost quite a few other plants this past January. I think it's location under the avocado tree helps protect it.

John

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

very pretty, john! I like how all the greenery is evenly distributed.

It's funny, my staghorn has been around since I was a child...maybe 10 years old. I grew up with that thing just hanging from a tree and I never paid any attention to it...simply part of the landscape as I grew up. Now, 30 years later, I just LOVE it!

• User
    13 years ago

d.m. "illegal smile" and "grandpa was a carpenter"....you win! wally and julia's was where i took my now mrs. wallisadi to for our first dates. love the wine list! gone now, think they retired or son did.

• regine_Z 10 Fl gw
    13 years ago

Here is mine; I started it in some sphagnum moss in a wire basket which I hung sideways in the tree with some electrical wire. The staghorn attached itself to the tree and is slowly growing around it so I don't have any heavy chains holding it up.It's been in the tree for 20 years.

There are several compartments in the Staghorn, so from time to time, Mama Possum decides to have her babies there. Here is one of the youngsters.

• User
    13 years ago

that is a very cool picture!!!!!!! half the fun of having a garden is all the critters you encounter that share your space.

• stuartwanda
    13 years ago

The expression on that opossum face is priceless! So cute!

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

love that picture, regine! I wish some critters would set up camp in my staghorn!

wallisadi-what a small world! I just listed to illegal smile last night...and google his name. I am surprised I am not familiar w/him as I am very familiar with most of his comtemporaries. I am glad I can learn about plants AND good music on this forum!

• ventura43
    13 years ago

Here's mine...about 12 years old. We get wildlife as well. When we moved it to its current location a bat flew out and into my husbands face. What a suprise!

[IMG]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/jraczy/gardenweb/staghorn.jpg[/IMG]

• ventura43
    13 years ago

OK, It's been so long since I posted a pic that I forgot how! This guy is about 12 years old.

• jaxtropix
    13 years ago

Wow, these pics are great. I can't wait til mine grows up! btw, it doesn't yet have any sterile fronds... is that okay if its still little?

• User
    13 years ago

from what i've read they are self pollinating....just keep starting more, then ya kind of forget about the other ten you got going somewhere else in the yard....

• coffeemom
    13 years ago

I was at a dear friends house in Miami today. She got this from her MIL when they moved to their first house. It's falling apart but the marriage is still intact. 40yrs and counting.
    {{gwi:897333}}
    (plus I'm getting a piece)

• mrs_tlc
    13 years ago

wow you guys those are some awesome pictures!!! We have a tiny one that a friend gave us a few months ago. It lives in the crook of a gumbo limbo tree and hubby feeds it banana peels from our morning protein shakes. We LOVE these things!! Here's the kicker - we are Realtors - sold a house just recently and barely got the seller out with prices being so low. She was thrilled that she only had to bring $400 to closing. When we went to pick up our sign I realized that she had this HUGE staghorn in a tree in the back that I would have bought from her but she let it go with the house - I suppose because she was moving to a condo. Too late to get it then... :( New owner sure does have a gem!!!!!

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Looks like I'm late to the party, work has been a bear since I got back from the Bahamas...love that second picture DM, perhaps your Staghorn would have been happier with the glass of wine ;-)

These two made the trip down from Lecanto ten years ago, they're about fifteen years old. I don't feed them because I really don't want them getting any bigger. The Elkhorn on the left really isn't very heavy but when the Staghorn on the right breaks it's chains I have to use a Come A Long winch to put it back up, it's already over 100lbs.

Now, about the music, how about a few links that are a little on the eclectic side.

Tom

• User
    13 years ago

john hiatt......:)

• tomncath
    13 years ago
  • dirtymartini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OP here. GREAT PICTURES!

How long can Staghorns live for?

Ventura-wow, that is big for "only" 12 years old!

coffeemom-LOVE IT! Kind of funky looking. Has personality!

mrs tlc-I hope those new owners appreciate it!

Tom-gorgeous! Dumb question...what do you mean "elkhorn?" They both look like identical staghorns to me. What a pretty view!

And thank you for the music. i love a lot of TWANG in my music...you sure provided it!

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Tom-gorgeous! Dumb question...what do you mean "elkhorn?" They both look like identical staghorns to me. What a pretty view!

You caught me, or should I say IT. The perils of hanging them too close together. The Elkhorn has actually jumped over to the Staghorn and is taking it over. If you look closely you can really only see the Staghorn at the top, the Elkhorn migrated up from the bottom :-(

And thank you for the music. i love a lot of TWANG in my music...you sure provided it!

You can't be 4-5 generations from Florida and not have twang ;-)

Tom

• dirtymartini
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ahhh, ok, I am so glad my qyestion was not as dumb as I thought!
    Yessss, I am 3rd generation native Miamian. Back when Miami was pronounce "Miam-uh" and was a very southern town.

Ok, ok, it was starting to change as I grew up, but I love the stories of old Miami from my parents and grandparents.

Have a great day, ya'll!

• tomncath
    13 years ago

My grandfather on my mother's side was a year-around farmer. Farmed the summer crops in Waycross GA, and the winter crops on the edge of the Everglades. I have fond memories of Opa Locka in the 50's, it was a magical place then....

Tom

• sharbear50
    13 years ago

I don't have a staghorn but had to check out this thread anyway. Darn that song was good!

• User
    13 years ago

dm.....great post.....try leonard cohen.."suzanne"while your sipping some good vintage with your staghorn..:)

• tomncath
    13 years ago
  • saldut
    13 years ago

Well, I'm not going to tell you-all how old I am, but I lived in Miami from 1934 to 1950, I voted for FDR and 'The buck stops here' Harry, I left there in 1950... Miami was a small town, during the War I worked on Flagler St in an orange-juice stand and then at the MIAD, where they had German POW's doing the grounds-work.... and the place was full of Russian sailors,.... and then I worked on the Beach and took the Jitneys across the causeway to work... no air-conditioning in any of the stores, just ceiling fans........ stuff sure has changed there, hasn't it?................sally

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

Mine actually filled half the pick up bed which we used to chain it up. I have lots of pups from an elderly aunt who thought they were ugly when she bought her Florida home so I am decorating the woods with them
    tanya

{{gwi:897334}}

• User
    13 years ago

hope it makes it!!!!!

• starryrider
    13 years ago

Here's mine. The 'yardstick' is 4 feet long.