SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Pectin varieties revisited

gardengalrn
17 years ago

I'm hoping nobody will mind a rather redundant question being asked; I still can't wrap my brain around this aspect of canning. I know many different varieties of "setting" materials have been mentioned, to include the natural pectin in various fruits like lemon. I have semi-sworn off canning jams and jellies because virtually nothing I've made has ever set up as it was supposed to, despite following directions as closely as possible.

First, are the various pectin types (say liquid vs. powdered) recommended for certain jobs? Like liquid for jelly or powdered for jams? I've seen some comments in current threads about using natural pectin like from fresh lemons for some things. Would it be terrible to ask for a list with their recommended uses and how one might switch to natural pectin if a recipe calls for a pouch of something commercial? I do realize that beginners are prone to some trial and error but really, to have each and every attempt go bad is just depressing, LOL. Thanks in advance, Lori

Comments (6)