SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countrynest

Bee swarm and capture 6-8-2009

countrynest
14 years ago

A new swarm of bees left my main hive with the queen in the center looking for a new home.

They made a stop on an oak branch at about 1oo feet east of the main hive and about 10 feet off the ground.

Here is a close up of the bees.

My son,Jeremy,putting his hand up close to the swarm. Not

one sting.

Jeremy saw the swarm hovering and going in circle in the air,from a distance when he got home from work,this afternoon. He came into my bedroom to tell me. So we went to capture them.

I put a bee box under the swarm once they settle on the branch. It was too far up. So I picked up the box,while Jeremy lowered the branch as much as he could then he shook it.

Most of the bees fell inside the box and on my arms and head.Not one sting. Just felt ticklish and weird. He he he

The rest of the bees began to file into the box via the entrance. We found the queen to the right of the entrance.

She was very big. Big eyes,big shoulder and big butt.

That is how the queen is identified.

We waited for all the bees to get inside,then we put the rest of the frames and the cover and put it on concrete blocks.

It was really good to get some help from Jeremy. Aaron does not feel safe around the bees.

Now my girls are safe and sound if we get rain from those dark clouds in the distance.

Then Ginger,the horse knock me over and almost broke both of my legs but that is another story here in the farm.

God is good,I was just scratched and very shook

Comments (19)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus