SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Rose Petal Jam - Low Sugar

nancyofnc
10 years ago

I have this gorgeous reddish purple heirloom thornless rose 'Reine des violettes" abundantly producing flowers "organically". The fragrance is incredible but sadly the petals fall off after picking so no bouquets for me just bowls with them floating for several days for the fragrance to fill the room. However, I thought Rose Petal Jam or Jelly might be heavenly in the winter when there are no fragrances other than wood smoke and frozen/defrosting everything. I made Wild Violet Jelly which was pretty but did not have a taste and thought the same recipe would work but maybe with low sugar pectin so as not to overpower the flower flavor like I suspect the wild violets were by the sugar. Looking at web pages for ideas/recipes I got waaaay confused and not satisfied with the ones posted. I did not like the idea of leaving them in a jar with water for 3-4 weeks in the sun (bacteria grows in "sun tea" so roses would be a doubled risk, at least) to get an infusion and I did not like the idea of boiling the heck out of them "until they are translucent", translated means that all the essence went into the air, in my opinion. So, you adventuresome jammers out there - do you have a TNT recipe for making rose petal jelly? The season is so short on these heirlooms (though they are supposedly repeat bloomers they don't here in the humid south), I'd hate to let it pass me by without preserving them.
Nancy

Comments (5)