SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rstanny

Best River Birch Variety

12 years ago

I wonder if anyone here has an opinion about the best River Birch variety for Florida--specifically the panhandle. I have a small grove of wild types I planted for quick shade after Hurrican Ivan. They did a terrific job, shooting up from two feet in one-and-a-half-gallon pots to 20-some feet in their first two years in the ground, and I love them to death. But they haven't retained their nice, shaggy, papery bark into adulthood, like the Heritage River Birches I remember from that grove in National Arboretum not far from the stand of Dawn Redwoods.

I have room for one more clump of River Birch, and I'm willing to go for it. I would like one that keeps its peeling bark and lower branches better. I will be planted away from the other River Birches, so it doesn't have to look just like the others. Of the named varieties, the most readily available around here is Dura-Heat. I have no idea how these mature--whether they retain a nice, shaggy, papery bark, and whether they keep their lower branches well. I've seen some older River Birches nearby that have retained their shaggy bark well, but I don't know what variety they are.

Anyone have an informed opinion? Thanks.

Comments (6)