SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zioviche

Basic newbie questions about River Birches & Northern Red Oaks

viche
14 years ago

Our county is giving every household 2 free 6ft tall trees to plant this spring. I selected a River Birch and a Northern Red Oak. I want to plant one up on a hill benhind our house to provide shade in the summer and one on the side.

Bunch of easy questions (I hope):

1) I see really nice Birch trees that have 3 main trunks coming out of the ground. Is this desireable or do the crotche weaken the tree?

2)In case I have a selection to choose from, would the young tree already have the three trunks or is that something that grows over time?

3)Is there anything else I should look for in the Birch or the Red Oak?

4) I'm thinking that the Birch should go up on the hill because it's so wide and full it will provide a lot of shade. It's also attractive in the winter I think. The other location we'd like to plant a tree is on the side of our house, where we have no windows. The tree would have the house 20 feet to it's west, a smaller maple variety (maybe 25 feet tall) 20 feet to it's north, and a large (20 year old) Sycamore to it's east. I'm guessing the young tree would get mostly full sun from noon until 6:00. Would this be a good location for the oak or is there not enough sun and too little space? If not, any other suggestions for trees that would do good there?

5)Is there a good website that shows the progressive heights and widths of trees over time. ie, how tall and wide they will be at 5, 10, 15, 20 years?

6) Anything else I should know? Do either of these trees drop a lot of junk? The one on the side of the house will be close to a heat pump.

Thanks so much. I've never purchased or planted a tree before!

Comments (15)